Part 1

• Dedicated to To all the ships that never sailed

Merlin walked along the side walk alone. He absently kick a rock along, lost in thought. He looked up as the footing underneath changed. The sun ablaze, Merlin shielded his eyes from the firey sunset. He sighed and kept walking.

Stupid. He thought. Stupid, idiotic, dumb, stupid idiot. Merlin thought. He kept walking to the water, picked up the rock he had been kicking and threw it as hard as he could. He tried to follow the small rock into the sun, but could only hear a distant plop!

Merlin sighed and looked at his watch. While the sun was only setting, it was about 9:30pm. Merlin loved summer cause the days were longer but also hated it for that reason. No matter what he always seemed to get up around sunrise.

Because he lived in the small town of Ealdor, not much happned so he was always bored. Luckily though tomorrow he would be moving to Camelot. His mother had a friend there who was going to help Merlin.

Giaus, i think his name was?

Merlin took one last glance as the sun setting over the large lake and headed back home.

* * *

Merlin coughed as the bus pulled away in a cloud of exhaust fumes. He looked around. Camelot was much different from Ealdor. People were everywhere, buildings touched the clouds, and there was so much noise. How would he ever be able to sleep at night?

Merlin took the scrap of paper from his pocket that had Giaus's address. 221B Pivet Drive.

"uh Exuse me!" Merlin said grabbing the nearest person's arm. "Can you tell me how to get to 221B Pivet Drive?"

"hmm? What?" The girl turned to look at him. She was olive-skinned and has eyes like warm milk chocolate.

"Do you know how to get to 221B Pivet Drive?" Merlin repeated.

"Uh sure? i have to go that way to get to my job. i can show you the way." She held out a hand. "Im Guinevere."

Merlin shook her outstretched hand. "Im Merlin."

"Nice to meet you, Merlin." She dropped his hand and continued walking. Merlin followed as she began to talk. "So where you from?"

"Ealdor." Merlin replied with a smile.

"Ealdor? I've never heard it."

"Not surprised. It's pretty far and a really small town."

"So why did you come from a small town to a big city?"

Merlin's smile dropped a bit and he hesitated before he answered. "meh, ya know. Tired of living in a small town where everyday is the same. Thought a big city might be different."

Gwen nodded as she stopped outside a small house. "Ya well things can certainly be exciting in Camelot. Well, here we are. 221B Pivet Drive. I have to go to work. Goodbye Merlin."

"Bye Gwen." He waved and turned to the tiny house. It was small and cubical-like. One story, with a small garden on either side of the house. Merlin walked up to the house and knocked on the door. No answer. He walks in and yells loudly. "Hello? Giaus?"

Merlin hears a loud yell, and a crash. He runs to the sound and finds a small old man looking confused, and serveral bottles smashed on the floor.

"Who the devil are you? Why did you break into my house?"

Merlin looks between the broken bottles and Giaus before answering. "I-I-I-I......I'm Merlin."

"What? Merlin? Hunith's son?"

"uh yes." Merlin reached in is jackey pocket and pulled out a letter. "she wanted me to give you this."

Giaus took the letter and quickly read through it. "huh. well you can start by making yourself usefull." Giaus handed Merlin a broom and nodded to the broken glass that covered the space between them.