Part 2

• Dedicated to To all the ships that never sailed

It was few days after Merlin had moved in with Giaus. Merlin and Giaus were sitting at the table eating breakfast before Giaus left for work as a personal physician. "you know Merlin," he said in between mouthfuls. "since you'll be staying with me for a bit, you should think about getting a job."

Merlin swallowed. "where do you think i should work? i dont know any places around here."

"well you could work with me. im not young like i once was so it would helpful to have someone to run around when i cant."

"i dont know giaus...I dont know anything about being a physician and im certainly no doctor."

"trust me Merlin. you will only need to know basic herbs. i can take care of anything more serious."

Merlin studied his bowl of cereal. he did come to the city to learn more and do different things. "alright i'll go."

"excellent." Giaus quickly stood up, grabbed his bag, and started heading to the door. "come on, we need to be heading." Giaus turned and headed out the door.

"what, wait!" Merlin quickly followed Giaus out into the slightly cold morning. Fog hung low over the town. Cars drove by, slowly emerging from they light gray haze. Merlin followed Giaus down the slightly cracked side walk, deeper into the city. As he caught up, Merlin spoke up. "So where do you work as a physician?"

"have you heard of Pendragon Corporations?"

"who hasn't? They are only the most powerful and well known corporations. They've invested in like, everything and everyone that has ever been succesful! Wait, you work for them?"

Giaus smiles and nods. "Uther Pendragon prefers natural methods of medicine. Plus his wife was a good friend."

Merlin nodded. He remembered how Mrs. Pendragon had passes away giving birth to her daughter Morgana.

"and at the top of the Pendragon Corp. building, the top two levels of the building is where the family lives." Giaus said, nodding at the large building as they approached.

Merlin craned his neck up to take in the whole building. As Merlin enter the building, the entrance was extremely grand. A large open courtroom was the entrance room. It reminded Merlin of a castle. Fancy paintings and rugs. White columns.

Giaus shuffled passes everything, unimpressed. He nodded to the receptionist. "morning Freya."

"good morning Giaus." The pretty receptionist eyed Merlin. "who's your friend Giaus?"

"Im merlin." Merlin held out his hand.

"freya." She replied as she reached for his hand. Before they could shake. Giaus had grabbed merlin's collar and pulled him into the elevator. "we dont have time for you to flirt. i have a job to do."

Merlin shook himself from Giaus's grasp. "are you sure that Mr. Pendragon won't mind me working for you? Did you even tell him that i would be working for you?"

"while Uther can be very strict, we have known each other for a long time, and he owes me." The elevator dinged and Giaus stepped out.

They entered a fancy living room. A large fire place had a roaring fire in it. A big TV sat above the fire place, facing a long, white couch. The the right of the elevator was an open area and big open windows over looking the city. To the left was the kitchen. On the right of the kitchen was a set of stairs leading up, and to the right of the kitchen was a hallway. As merlin looked around, a boy came down the stairs. "oh, hello Giaus."

Merlin turned from the windows to the voice, and almost dropped his jaw. The boy had sandy blonde hair and bright blue eyes. His square jawline and set shoulders showed he had done sports before. He had a pair of sweat pants that hung loosely off his hips and a lose red shirt. his hair was slightly messy from sleep. His voice was smooth when he spoke. "Who's this?"

Giaus gestured to Merlin. "this is Merlin. He will be helping me. Merlin is this Arthur, Uther's son."

Arthur held out a hand and Merlin shook it. "please to meet you." Arthur told him.

"likewise." Merlin said with a smile.

Arthur turned to Giaus. "yesterday Percival and Gwaine were wrestling and i think Gwiane hurt his shoulder but he's too much of a stubborn arse to admit he's hurting."

"ok. send him up. i'll take a look. it's probably just a stretched muscle. by the way how is morgana's cough?"

"well for once i woke up before her so i haven't seen her yet. do you want me to wake her up?"

"no, let her sleep. Come on merlin." Giaus started shuffling down the hallway, and merlin followed more slowly. he followed Giaus into a room that look like a slightly smaller version of his house.

"wait." merlin began. "if you work here and have all this stuff here and walk here everyday, why dont you just live here?"

"i need my house to grow the plants. but normally i stay here and go back every few days." Merlin frowned and looked down knowing Giaus had to walk back and forth now because of him. Giaus continued, not noticing Merlin's guilt. "merlin, please go to kitchen and get me some water. i need to soak some leaves."