Prologue

The best thing about having moved to England at a young age had to be the people. Marylinde loved the Brits and had a few she was especially fond of. She had met them all through racing and could have quite possibly met them while still living in Denmark, but she was happy to live in Britain so she could see them more often. Especially since they were separated over different categories of motorsport racing.

There was a small group of British drivers that clustered together wherever they went. There were the obvious three, the three with the most screentime as they had moved to formula one in 2019, George, Lando and Alex. It was clear to everyone they were good friends, but most of them didn't know or barely knew, the other drivers they got along with very well. A definite member of the gang was Marylinde, her only recent arrival in formula two was a reason for most people to have never heard of her. She was good, but due to the struggles of being a young woman in a man's world, she had found herself climbing the ranks slower than some other drivers.

Callum Ilott was another Brit that regularly met up with the people in the gang. He too was in formula two and by being Marylinde's teammate multiple times over the years, he was the one who knew the Dane best.

Finally, there were some other Brits who occasionally stopped by, but essentially, these five were the main core of the British gang that had come to life.

If you had to ask all of them about it, they would laugh, thinking of all the good times they'd already had. Long nights spent talking, playing games, racing each other on simulators, disrupting interviews, playing pranks. There was simply too much to tell everyone. If you'd ask the right questions, you'd be able to get past all the fun times to the harder times, where every one of them had stood with the person who was struggling: hugs, encouraging words, sticking up for each other. They had been through a lot together.

Marylinde wouldn't trade their friendship for anything in the world. These guys were the best thing that had ever happened to her and she was more than grateful for all the time she got to spend with them.

It was part of why she was so excited to move up to formula two after a successful final campaign in formula three where she had won the championship. It had been a strange season with the whole COVID-19 lockdown, but Marylinde had changed her mindset quickly when they could get back to racing and had started by winning the first race, to finish the season a couple of months later the same way: winning.

Now, f2 would be a hard season. She would be the only female in the series as well as the only rookie. It was going to be very tough for her to find her place within the other drivers and there were a lot of good ones. The year prior, rookies had dominated the first races, but Callum had been the one keeping his head above the sea of rookies to come out the winner of the season overall. That year, Marylinde was dead set upon showing that she could do what the rookies the year before had done: showing what she could do right from the start. 

A short prologue to see what you guys can expect from this story. 

The idea is to write a chapter every other week on Sunday. Why not every week? I know myself and with everything I need to do for my study at the university, I know I won't manage every week. If I ever were to manage to make two chapters in those two weeks, I will publish one chapter earlier than that Sunday, but I want to make sure I can make the deadline with the second chapter before doing so. 

A quick thing I want to point out, I know there will be a big chance two drivers of the current f2 grid will move up to f1, so the chance someone would be the only rookie in f2 for 2021 would be very small, but still. I started writing this story a couple of months ago and altered some facts after the first two race weekends, long before that rumour mill would start going. 

I hope you guys will like the story and I would love to hear what you think about it in the comments! 

Last Man StandingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara