Chapter 47: Top Model

The quick adventure to New York City was over. I was back in Sydney with my family. As I climbed out of bed that morning, I barley registered what was going on around me. Since I slept for majority of my trip, I was thankful that I was not jet lagged.

Today, it seemed that Lola had given me a day off. As I pulled open my blinds in my bedroom, I was happy to find the sun shining. Finally, I could enjoy my summer. I quickly grabbed my phone and sent a text to Shay and Sami if they wanted to go to the beach.

They’re replies were instant, another reason why I loved my friends so much. We were meeting in one hour.

I smiled as I headed downstairs for breakfast. “Good morning.” I mused into the dining room on my way to the kitchen. I heard a collective “morning” from my family as I prepared my breakfast. I changed it up a bit, smearing avocado on some sour dough that was still warm from the bakery this morning.

Once I had placed my salmon and pepper on top, I made my way into the dining room. “So, who got the bread this morning?” I asked, sitting down in my usual seat across from Josh.

“Me.” My mum answered, taking a sip of her coffee. “I went for a morning run before it got too hot and got that on my way back.”

“What’s everyone doing today?” My dad asked, taking a bite of his own toast.

I looked up from plate. “I’m going to the beach with Shay and Sami. I can’t wait to swim.”

“The water was great when we went yesterday.” My dad said, nodding towards mum.

“Well when I went I found the water freezing.” Josh admitted. “But it’s nice after a while.”

“Great.” He smirked at me. “What are you up to today?”

He seemed to slouch more in his chair once I’d asked that. “Simon’s making me meet with these stupid brands that want me to be their spokesperson.” I laughed, that was usually what I would complain about.

“For the whole day?” Lily questioned.

“Yeah, won’t be home until dinner.” He sighed. “But it’s fine, I’m going out with the guys tonight, so it’s not all that bad.” At least he was being semi-positive. 

“And what about you Lil?” My dad continued wanting to know what all his children were doing.

“I’m just going to a friend’s house.” She shrugged.

The rest of breakfast went quickly, soon Josh had to leave once Simon had ushered him out of the house. My dad had to go on a conference call, and my mum took Lily to her friend. That left me.

I put my plate into the dishwasher and headed back up to my room. I pulled on my blue Seafolly bikini top from last season and my simple black bottoms. I slipped on a tropical printed jumpsuit and began filling my tote bag with all my beach things.

Soon, I got a buzz from my phone. We’re outside -Shay

I grabbed my house keys and rushed to slip my sandals on. I closed the door behind me before pulling open the door to Sami’s second-hand Prius. “Hey.” I said, shuffling in.

“Hey.” Shay said from the passenger seat. I clipped my seatbelt on and we were off. 

“So how was New York?” Sami asked while driving.

“Honestly.” I laughed to myself. “I slept for majority of the trip. The party really took a lot out of me.” The two girls joined in with my laughter. “Did I miss anything here? What have you guys done?”