Chapter 23: Jetlag Is My New Best Friend

After our long lunch, Lola kicked me off to the gym. I changed into my three quarter black leggings and blue sports bra, and placed my bathers in my bag so that I could swim after.

I walked into the gym at 3 o'clock, since it was the middle of the day there was only one other person there. Because the man was on the treadmill, I headed over to the bike. I was happy that the gym was on one of the lower levels of the building because the large window looked over the park, you could see the family picnics, the kids flying kites, it was a nice change of scenery from my usual city with skyscrapers.

My workout went quickly, I had my earphones in and the time just flew by. By the time I had worked on everything it was 5 o'clock. I headed to the change room and changed out of my sweaty, stinky clothes and into my pink and white striped bikini.

The indoor pool was only 25 metres long but I wasn't planning on doing laps, I just wanted to relax. I put my towel on one of the vacant lounge chairs while looking around, there were a few kids splashing around in the shallows and a small group of older boys wrestling in the deeper end.

I didn't think much of them and brushed my foot along the water, it was nice and cool. I had been meaning to go swimming for ages but never got the chance.

I sat on the edge of the pool dangling my feet on the edge allowing them to submerge into the water. I looked around, the room's walls were basically glass windows. The architect was probably trying to make you feel as if you were outside.

As I was about to lean myself into the water, something stopped me. I saw a little girl sitting by herself on the other side of the pool. This didn't sit well with me so I got up and went to sit next to her. When I sat down, she looked up to acknowledge my presence then continued to stare at her hands in her lap.

"What's your name?" I asked. She ignored me. "I'm Kayla." She still didn't bother to answer me. "Why are you sitting by yourself? Where are your friends?" She pointed to the little kids I saw earlier playing. "Why don't you join them?"

"No."

At least I got an answer this time. "What did they do?"

"They kept teasing me."

"Really? Why?" She shrugged. "Do you want to play with me?" She looked up to see if I was being serious. When she saw that I wasn't kidding, she nodded. "I didn't catch your name."

"I'm Olivia."

"What a pretty name." She blushed and dived into the water. I followed her, letting the water to incase my body. When my head popped up to the surface, I was immediately splashed in the face with water.

For about 20 minutes Olivia and I played games until her mother and family were about to leave, but just before she left she turned around and gave me a hug. She even thanked me, it was so cute.

Now that I had a clean conscious I proceeded back into the water, where the older boys were now just relaxing on the other end on the pool. I laid on my back, trying to keep myself afloat when I was surrounded by four boys.

I immediately stopped floating and stood up. "Did you need something?" I asked.

"Yeah, you're Kayla Maceton right?"

"Depends whose asking?"

"Oh let me apologise, I'm Roy." He did a slight bow. "And we thought that you could use some company."

"How thoughtful, but I'm good thanks."

"Are you sure? We don't bite."

I faked laughed at his joke. It could be fun. "What did you have in mind?" I teased him.