Chapter 3: A Close Call

School flew by quickly. Before I knew it, I was in Josh’s car on our way home. When we got home there was a note on the fridge from our parents.

Won’t be home for dinner. We left money for you to get take out.

-Love Mum and Dad

Of course! This is just typical; they are rarely home for dinner. I made a snack for Lily then went upstairs to change for the gym, angrily. I took of the glasses, the make up, the wig and the retainer, and put on my workout gear.

Once changed into my ‘normal’ look, I got my gym bag, grabbed my keys and was out the door. I entered the garage to find my car. There it sat, next to Josh’s black BMW. My silver Mercedes. I smiled; I hadn’t driven it in ages.

I got in and drove off to the gym. Once I arrived I approached the desk to get signed in. When the employee at the desk looked up from his clipboard, he couldn’t help but stare.

“Hello?” I said, clicking my fingers in front of his face.

“Oh sorry.” He grabbed my membership card and swiped it through a machine, allowing me access.

“Thanks.”

“You-ou-r welcome.” He stuttered. I gave him a faint smile. I could tell his eyes followed me down the hall.

As I walked into the gym, the manager approached me. “Sorry Kayla, he’s new.”

“It’s fine, I kind of figured.” She smiled and went back to work.

Once I had placed my bag in a locker, grabbed my water and strapped my music to my arm. I was off.

I headed to the treadmills that faced the view of the city. It was incredible. I don’t understand how people can workout looking at televisions or mirrors, its just weird in my eyes. I enjoy landscapes. Before I started though, I realised how cold I was. Well I was only in a sports bra and three quarter leggings; I guess that’s understandable.

I put my headphones in and started up the treadmill. I began with a walk, once I started my jog. I saw that it had started raining outside. I ran for an hour, ending with interval sprints. I hadn’t been disturbed since I entered the gym; this has to be a new record.

That was until two young girls approached me. I spoke to soon.

“Hi-i. Are you Kayla Maceton?" One of them asked, shyly. “The model.”

No I’m Kayla Maceton the starfish. “Yeah.”

“Oh my god. We love you.” They began squealing and jumping up and down.

“Thank you.”

“Would you mind if we got a photo with you?” The other one asked. I nodded and their faces lit up. I politely asked one of the men walking past to take our photo and he kindly did. I wrapped my arms around the girl’s shoulders and posed.

Once the photo was taken they thanked me and I continued with my workout. I did 30 minutes on my legs, core, arms and balance. I ended with a 10 minutes stretch and was out the door.

When I got back to the locker room, I noticed that I was sweating horribly. I quickly sprayed some deodorant and put my jacket on. On my way out I checked my phone. There were two messages one from Lola and the other from Josh. I decided to check Lola’s first.

The Victoria Secret organizers just told me your outfits. You will be in ‘Cities Secrets’, ‘Dance Boulevard’, ‘Seasonal Heaven’ and ‘Angel Skies.’   -Lola