Chapter 46: The Premiere Party

I had my head buried in my lap, trying to shield my face from the morning sun. It was so bright. I was currently in a car with Lola, being driven to the awaiting jet that was planned to take me and the rest of the angels to New York City.

My ongoing headache was not helping the early start. “I told you to watch it.” Lola scolded me, for what felt like the twentieth time.

I rolled my eyes, but then stopped, groaning in pain. “Well, sorry, I wanted to enjoy myself.” I slurred.

“I think you may have ‘enjoyed’ yourself, a little too much.” She grinned. I scowled at her, not appreciating the judgement. 

I turned back to face the window, to be greeted by an even more blinding ball of fire. I rested my head in my lap, refusing to start the day.

Eventually, we pulled up to the airport, where photographers were already stationed. I took a deep breath, slipped my sunglasses on and pulled my hoodie over my head. I really didn’t want to be recognised, I could not deal with so many flashes. 

With the help of Lola, we cautiously made our way through the sea of paparazzi and into the complex. Lola approached an attendant, leaving me with the bags. I took a sip of my water to sooth my dry mouth, it was like heaven gliding down my throat. 

Once I removed the bottle from my lips, Lola was staring at me weirdly. “What’s with the giddy smile?” She chuckled. I shrugged, too out of it to respond.

She shook her head in amusement before leading me through customs and towards roofless vehicle. The two of us hopped on as it sped off. We zoomed past multiple gates, and were eventually on the tarmac. 

The sun hit our backs. I refused to remove my gaze from the ground. Another few minutes went by, until we had reached a large plane hanger. Thankful to be in a darker setting, I lifted my head to come face to face with the angels looking just as bad as me. I stumbled over to them, glad that I had decided against heels. 

When I reached the little circle, I could see the grimaces on every bodies faces. At least I wasn’t the only one feeling miserable. “Morning.” I said, scrunching my face. They all replied with groans, no one wanting to talk.

With the pleasantries over, the groups of angels slowly began making their way on to the jet. We ascended the stairs, Adriana was in front of me and as we reached the top she tripped. I managed to save her fall by catching her by the waist. We both let out a giggle, before the fast action caused me to put my hand to my head.

I had been seated next to Lola, and across the aisle from me was Behati. It didn't take long for the passengers to be seated. As the attendants went through the safety precautions that we had all heard too many times, I got comfortable. All I wanted to do was lay back and block out all sounds imaginable.

Soon we were approaching take off, and there was not a sound. All the angels were so overtired. Usually, when we flew together we were buzzing with excitement, but all our joy was used up last night. 

As the plane began to speed up, I grasped the armrests praying for the overwhelming sensation to be over. I didn’t dare open eyes, knowing it will only worsen my headache. 

Eventually the plane levelled out above the clouds and we were cruising. I released my iron grip and laid back. Thankfully, Lola’s medication she had handed me at the airport earlier was finally setting in. I let out a sigh of relief. My mind finally clear. I shut my eyes and curled my legs up, leaning my head to the side. Happily welcoming sleep.

“Alice, it’s time to wake up.” I let out a little groan, not wanting to get up. “Come on Al, we’re in New York.” I forced my eyes open to find Lola standing over me. I unbuckled my seatbelt and stood up, stretching out my back.