Chapter 12: An Army of Support

I checked my timetable, the next thing I had was sport. I dropped my books off in my locker and made my way to the gymnasium. Sport was easily one of my favourite subjects. I mean I know that most teenagers hate exercise, but since I don't really have a choice. I tend to always look forward to getting my energy out. I mean what else would I do.

On my way I ran into Shay, we walked the rest of the way together. When we had got inside we headed straight for the change rooms. I opened my locker and casually started undressing. I had put on my workout shorts when I noticed a group of girls staring at me.

I mean I know that it is a change room so girls will accidentally take a glimpse of each other, but these few girls were full out staring. I don't get it. I know I have a good body but it has never drawn any attention to myself. I was careful, so why they were staring was making me anxious. Were they trying to put something together.

I approached them still in my bra. "Did you want something?" They shook their heads. "Are you sure, because you have been staring at me for quite a while now." Shay was at my side now.

A girl with glasses looked up at me. "We just thought that you had an amazing body." My face lifted. Was that all?

"Oh. Thank you."

"Are you entering the pageant?"

"Yeah, my friends are forcing me." I giggled. A lot of them let out a breathe that I didn't realise they were holding. "What?" I asked, confused.

"Claudia has been bullying us to sponsor her." I stared at them in disbelief.

"What? That's not fair, how is she bullying you."

A girl I recognised to be Sasha looked at me. "She keeps telling us that she will ruin our social lives."

I stared at her. "Well she can't destroy all your social lives because than all of you will just be friends." I paused. "So who are you sponsoring?" I asked, hoping I hadn't been to forward.

"You of course. Everyone else whose entering are just to much of attention grabbers." I smiled. We conversed and left the changing room as one group.

"Ladies, you're late!" Mr Vricka yelled at us. We scurried to take our seats, I plopped myself next to Luke and Shay. "So as I was saying." He continued. "You will be in pairs and from there you will be going around the circuit, each of you taking a turn." I looked at Luke, I hoped we got to be partners. "I will be choosing your pair." Of course. "So the pairs are Shay Polk and Luke Samuels." I looked at my friends, they seemed happy. Well Shay was, Luke just smiled awkwardly. "Jeffery Lovin and Jade Sylov, Alice Jones and Lewis McAdams." I didn't bother listening to the rest of the list and found Lewis staring at me.

Lewis was a major athlete. He had won many national competitions and he is very quiet. I had rarely ever seen him talk. He usually just kept to his crowd so he wasn't too friendly with others. I was not looking forward to the next hour. Mr Vicka told us to get into our pairs and move to a station.

Before I knew it, Lewis had already made his way over to me and offered me his hand. I grabbed it uneasily and he hoisted me up with strength I didn't realise he had. He led me over to the station we were starting at, skipping. We were both silent while grabbing the ropes.

Lewis was not very talkative, I didn't get it. He was the best sportsman in the school, even the state and he was always shy. I always thought that he'd be cocky. But then again, I am rather good at most physical activites and I don't tend to rub it in anyones faces, though I am not nationally recognised. So I was still wondering why he was so timid around other people.

All I knew about him was, well that's just it I didn't know anything about him. So it was rather uncomfortable for the both of us, considering neither one of us voluntarily like to start a conversation.