Chapter 45: Happy Birthday

"Happy Birthday!" 

My eyes flew open. My mum, dad, brother and sister were all standing over my bed, with large grins consuming their faces.  

As I slowly sat up from my bed, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I noticed that each of them were still sporting their pyjamas. "Morning." I said, my voice still hoarse from sleep. 

"Morning Alice." Lily said, jumping on my bed. She came and sat next to me, sticking her legs under the covers. I let out a giggle. She was such a kid. 

Josh came to the other side of my bed. He leaned down and gave me a hug. "Happy Birthday sis!" I smiled.

"Thanks Josh." He was still in pyjamas. I could tell that he had just woken up too.

My parents were wearing smiles that covered half their faces. They both cheered and gave me   hugs. My mum's was giddy, while my dad kissed my cheek. "Thanks guys!"

"Hey, don't thank us just yet." My mum said pointedly. The four of them got up from my bed and started heading out of my room. Seeing as none of them said anything more, I got out of bed and followed them down the stairs.

They were eerily quiet as we descended, and I couldn't keep the smile off of my face. What were they planning? They continued into the dinning room, I was getting excited. 

When I walked inside, I was speechless. They had laid out a feast, rich in crepes and colourful fruit. 

"Wow." My grin could not express how happy I was. We all took a seat, me sitting at the head of the table for a change. "Thank you so much! This is amazing!" I genuinely smiled. My parents gushed, while Lily and Josh looked just as excited to dig in as I was.

"Okay, let's dig in." My dad announced. That was all it took for me to dive for the waffles. 

After the delicious breakfast, my mum had popped upstairs to grab my presents. In that time I checked my phone. I had gotten 31 text messages wishing me happy birthday. Most were just people I knew in my year that I had given my number to. 

I only really recognised the angels congratulations of becoming legal and Shay's, Sami's, Luke's, Lewis' and Claudia's messages. 

By the time I had thanked them for their texts, my mum had come back down with a handful of neatly wrapped boxes, a particular blue one caught my eye.

I couldn't contain the squeal that escaped my lips. This only caused my dad and brother to giggle. "You're such a girl." My face turned from the tower of wrapping paper, to Josh. I gave him a flat look, was he serious?

"Anyway." My mum voiced. "Which one do you want to start with?"

I turned to my mum again. "You pick." My dad grinned and got up from his seat, to hand me a red one that was in the shape of a small cube. 

"Now you've gotta guess." I rolled my eyes at him. I was always horrible at guessing. Even if it was as simple as a tennis ball, I would get it wrong.

I sighed. "Fine." I dropped my shoulders and concentrated on the red cube. What could it be? It was hard, so it had to be thing inside the box. Now that narrows it down to almost anything. "Is it." I started, shaking it again. "perfume?"

He shrugged. I looked at my brother who had a blank expression. Yeah, like the actor would give anything away. 

I unwrapped the box, to find the the name Michael Kors plastered on the front. I opened the box to find a beautiful silver watch, the rim encrusted with small diamonds. "Wow." I said, my voice stunned. "It's beautiful." I looked up from the watch and got up from my seat to give my dad a hug. "Thank you."