Chapter 3

I RAN out of ingredients to cook

I RAN out of ingredients to cook. Instead of purchasing what I need, I walked my way to the nearest corner shop for breakfast. The pavements were wet and various sizes of puddles scattered along the road.

Drizzling, I covered myself in an inky umbrella. Entering the store soaked in the rain is not ideal. This could fall heavier as I can witness above. The time could be half five if I can't track it. The sun ascended but not enough because of the thick clouds.

It became a habit, I guess. Anything I own is in the darkest shades. It's not all black though. Vibrant colors draw too much attention and when it's necessary to run for an escape, they could easily catch me. I can fight but I wouldn't risk my life if I'm aware the chance of overtaking them is slim.

But when my target wears it, I won't complain. Thank you so much for that, Sir. I have no sweat to wipe.

I arrived and decided to buy two large spicy cup noodles to complement the weather and a bottle of water.

Fuck. I can't remember the last time I ate this. What is this called again? A cheat day?

In my field, every food and beverage I take shouldn't make me sluggish and lessen my concentration. I had a beer the other day, hence my training and exercises the next is much more exhausting to mend my muscles and maintain my weight.

I was actually looking for bulalo in the eatery near the subdivision but it's closed this early morning.

Discreetly, I observed the place and the people.

Four aisles, five tables inside, and seven outside. The guard was helping to clean the store through mopping instead of standing near the door. Two customers, excluding me.

I can rob this place unarmed if I wanted to. I shook my head mentally because of my arrogance.

There's an edc knife I always bring. It's sheathed unsuspiciously.

"Dito niyo po ba kakainin, Sir?" The cashier has a wide smile on his face. I can't seem to return it, even a fake one won't do.

"Yeah." I answered right away.

"Ando'n po ang hot water." He guided with his palm. Do I really look like I'm not from here?

My features and height screams it all.

I mumbled thanks and went to the direction he pointed. While I was filling the second one, another two customers entered.

Soldiers.

I quickly distinguished the profession because of their stance and actions. Even without the dog tag in one's neck.

"Gago. Akala ko ba condom? Bakit pregnancy test na pinagdidiskitahan mo?" The other guy laughed.

"Ngayon ko lang napagdesisyonan. Mukhang kailangan ng masundan ng panganay ko."

"Tang inang 'yan. Parang add to cart lang ah?"