Chapter 1: Jimmy

So there is a certain time of day that some people love experiencing while others may dread it, and it happens approximately 5 days every week save for the 3 months of Summer break. Your alarm goes off, and you slowly get up to get ready for another regular day of your ordinary life.

This is what happened to Jimmy Stickman, an average high-school student. He was an average-sized kid with an average build; he had short, brown hair and brown eyes. He was also highly intelligent, and got straight A's every year since 6th grade.

"Jimmy, it is time to get up and eat breakfast!" his foster mother yelled from her room as she got ready to go to work for the day.

"I'm getting up. Give me a second." he replied loudly while getting out of his smallish, single-person bed. After putting on a white t-shirt and brown shorts, he walked downstairs and got out a box of Cheerios from the pantry, slowly beginning to pour it into a bowl. He did that and finally ate his breakfast, making it out the door right on time for school. "Bye mom!" He actually had no idea who his birth parents were, and he doesn't remember a single thing about them.

He walked outside and met up with his friend, Tommy Carson. Tommy was a tad taller than Jimmy, but not too much taller. He had longer, and slightly lighter hair than Jimmy did with lighter-brown eyes.

"Wassup!?" Tommy asked from just beyond Jimmy's porch.

"Nothing much. You?"

"Same. I am just so happy that it is Friday!" Tommy exclaimed.

"I second that. I am just planning on getting home after school and relaxing. No homework, no responsibilities, and no chores. Just me, my T.V., and my good ole friend chillaxation." Jimmy explained, also clearly happy about the upcoming weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They walked all the way to school. They just talked about video games, movies, their school life, everyday home life, and so-on-and-so-forth. Their conversations were always content-heavy, as they always had both something interesting to talk about and a huge chemistry between one another; so conversations always turned out to be deep, thoughtful and super interesting between them.

There was this one girl that they both had serious hots for, and both of them could be considered relatively good friends of her, but only lightly due to their difference in social groups. Tommy started discussion about her, "So have you talked to her yet?"

"Who?" Jimmy responded cluelessly.

"Julie Harris..."

"Oh, well yesterday I did in the library. She came up to me asking for help on an English paper because we have the same English class." Jimmy said.

"Do you think she likes you?"

"I wish, but I think she would rather go out with Russell; I see them flirting all the time." Jimmy said unconfidently, talking about the biggest jerk in their grade, Russell Williams, who clearly likes her as well. "Or you perhaps. I mean, you are pretty athletic. You could certainly have a good chance with her, at least more-so than me."

"Yea, but girls don't like nice, legitimate guys like us. All they want to have is big, tough jerks like him." Tommy explained.

"You are probably right. Oh well, at least I get pretty good grades, and have a good future in college; that is all that matters at this point in my life. But damn would I do anything to be with her..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They made it to the school.

"See you later. I have to get to Geometry." Tommy said, walking down the hall after they entered the front doors of the school.

Jimmy then walked to his own first period class, which was right down the hall not that far away from his current position. It was English, so Julie was in there. But unfortunately, Russell was too, and they could never keep their hands off each other. Even though Russell was a big jerk, she was very friendly and only dated him because of his looks and physique. At least she still liked Jimmy as a close friend; just a little closer and they could possibly be together!

Luckily, Jimmy only sat a few desks away from her and was able to talk to her every once in a while when all of his work was done for the day. He was definitely not of the assertive type, rather of the passive type, and he was striving to be the nice guy in her life if they ever got even closer to one-another

"Hi..." He said to her with the intent of sparking a conversation with her.

"Hi Jimmy!" She replied back.

"How are you doing today?"

"I'm doing fine, thank you. How are you today?"

"I'm good. So, uh, how is it with you and Russell?"

"I don't really know; he has been so selfish lately. I would say that our relationship has been dwindling lately."

"Really? How do you feel about it?"

"Well I really wish he would pay more attention to me. All he cares about now is being at the top of the school even though he is still a year too young." She told Jimmy. "I still like him a lot, but he has been too rude lately."

"Ahh. Well I am really sorry to hear that."

"Thank you, Jimmy." She paused for a minute as she took out the same homework that Jimmy helped her with the previous day and handed it to him because she needed more help, "Hey, can you help me a little bit more on this? I am so lost and feel like my writing is no good."

"Sure thing." Jimmy felt that his chances of somehow getting together with her were a increasing; he just needed to keep being respectful and kind to her and hopefully she will dump Russell and go for him. "What are you confused on?"

"The opening; I just don't know how I can start this off well. What is the difference between a thesis and a topic sentence?"

"Well, a topic sentence is what the paper is going to be about; the opening paragraph is where you are going to overview your body paragraphs before writing them. A thesis is your stance on the issue; WHY are you writing this paper? Here, let me help you. I think I can give you some 'hands-on' assistance. He took a sticky note and a pencil from his backpack and began writing something down. "Why don't you use this as you topic sentence: 'The rhetorical devices used to help make the article stronger about the effects of technology on students' minds are...' and then list them. THAT is what this paper is going to be about. Now as for the thesis, you are going to say, 'The author of the article used these devices to make his point more clear that computers have a negative impact on the mind of a student in school.'" He explained to her as he handed her the sticky note.

"Thank you so much, Jimmy! This will really help me out a lot!" She said with passion just before the bell rang

"You're welcome." Jimmy said before he left the classroom to go to his next class. This made his day a whole-lot better already, and he really was hoping that it would continue to be a good day for him.