09 | Fighting Pits

Not a single word left my mouth as I waited for the grounder to open the door to the room Bellamy is in. Octavia allowed me to visit him before he fights and I wasn't going to pass up the chance to do so. As soon as the door opened, my eyes fell on Bellamy, who was seated on the bench in the middle of the room. When he turned and saw it was me, he immediately stood. I met him halfway, pulling him into a hard kiss. Bellamy's hands grasped my face, pulling me closer. I didn't want to pull away, but I did, looking Bellamy right in the eye.

"You have to win, Bellamy," I spoke softly, my voice breaking slightly. "You have to. Tell Indra and Gaia about the baby if you have to."

"Aiden--" beamy began, but I cut him off.

"Please... I know this is Indra and Gaia, and I know what I'm asking isn't the greatest, but Bellamy... I don't know if I can raise this baby on my own."

Bellamy studied me as he shook his head. "You are going to be an amazing mother. And, I can't promise that I won't die in the pit, but I can promise you that no matter what happens, I will always love you... And the baby; even if I never get to see it."

A tear rolled down my cheek as I shook my head. "Don't say that."

I pulled Bellamy into another kiss. This one was more passionate, more full of longing. I squeezed my eyes shut as I continued kissing the boy in front of me. When I pulled away, I rested my forehead on Bellamy's speaking quietly. "I love you, too. And I'll always love you... No matter what."

Bellamy nodded.

"It's time," the guard at the door spoke, causing my heart to drop to my stomach. Bellamy pulled me into a quick hug, placing a kiss on my forehead. I slowly let go of him and turned, walking toward the door. Once I was outside the room, I gave Bellamy one last look before the door closed completely.

°°°

My hand grasped the chain-link fence in front of me as I waited for Gaia, Bellamy, and Indra to step into the pit.  The sound of a buzzer filled my ears as a door opened and Gaia, Indra, and Bellamy stepped into the pit in that order. My heart pounded in my chest as my eyes met Bellamy's for a split second.

Once Octavia stood from her throne at the top of the rotunda, she spoke. "We gather here today to remind ourselves what happens to the enemies of Wonkru. It doesn't matter who you are. If you choose sides against us, if you divide us, if you defy us, then you are not us. Before we give these traitors a second chance to be called... Brother, sister, or Seda, we pay tribute to those who have died so that we might live. Omon gon oson."

"Omon gon oson," everyone repeated in unison.

"Be the last."

Just then, Gaia kicked Indra before running for the spear on the wall. I bit the inside of my lips anxiously as Indra went after the girl. While Bellamy stared at Octavia, Indra took the spear from Gaia and hit her with it, causing the girl to fall to the floor. After a few seconds, Bellamy spun around and ran toward the sword on the wall, blocking Indra's attack with the spear. I closed my eyes and turned my head away from the fight. Just the thought of Bellamy losing makes my insides turn. I continued listening to the people around me shouting, and the occasional quiet grunting of Bellamy and Indra in the pit.

After a minute or so, I heard Bellamy shout, causing me to finally look at the scene in front of me. Bellamy was swinging his sword at Indra, pushing her back. However, Indra managed to swing the spear at Bellamy and slice his leg.

Bellamy swung at Indra but the woman hit his sword out of his hand. My eyes darted to Gaia who had shot up from the floor. My eyes went back to Bellamy, who went after Indra, but the woman hit the boy in the stomach with the but of the spear. Just then, Gaia stole the spear from her mother, pushing her back. Bellamy tripped Indra and my eyes went wide as Gaia threw the spear at Octavia missing by an inch. The bunker went completely silent. My eyes immediately went to the girl at the top of the rotunda. Octavia stood from her throne and pulled the spear out of her chair, looking down at the three people in the ring. Just when I thought Octavia was going to throw the spear at Gaia, she let it fall below her. "I said, be the last."