22 | Death To Primes: Part 2

"How much longer will this last?" Bellamy asked loudly over the sound of the people screaming and the banging.

"It'll last longer that these walls will," Echo stated. I pursed my lips slightly as a man, one of the Children of Gabriel, spoke.

"Okay. We move together. Firing in all directions," he said, causing me to turn and give him a look. "Once we get up to the stairs, we haul ass to the woods."

"Hell no. We're not leaving our people," I said, shaking my head. The banging on the door got louder as it gave way. I looked in its direction as Bellamy spoke.

"Here they come. Knock 'em out and tie them up. Take out enough, eventually, they'll stop."

As soon as Bellamy had said that, the shouting and banging disappeared, causing my eyebrows to furrow in confusion. "Is it over?"

I spoke too soon when a gas canister was dropped through the ceiling, spilling gas into the building. I felt myself lose consciousness as my body fell to the floor.

°°°

"Today, we purify sanctum," a woman spoke. I'm guessing these people are the believers. My hands were tied behind my back and I was gagged. My eyes darted to Bellamy who had just woken up and sat up on his knees. "Adjusters, go forth and find the non-believers. Bring them here. If they resist, you may take their lives. Good, you're all awake... Let's begin."

The woman crouched in front of Layla, a knife in her hand as she took the gag from her mouth. A cup was held in front of the girl's face. "Do you or do you not believe in the divinity of the Primes?"

"You don't need a potion to find out my truth, witch," Layla spat angrily. "Primes are not Gods. They are liars and murderers."

I gasped quietly as the woman slit Layla's throat, causing Nelson, another one of the Children of Gabriel, to shout, his voice muffled from the gag. The woman moved to Miller next, taking the gag from his mouth.

"You don't have to do this," the boy spoke, shaking his head. "We're not your enemy."

"No, you're a disease, and this is the cure." The cup was held to Miller, who turned his head away. I pursed my lips, glaring at the woman as she pressed the knife to his throat. "Your blood or the blood of Sanctum."

Miller glanced at Bellamy before turning to the cup and slowly taking a sip. After that, the woman crouched in front of me who was beside Nelson. The gag was removed from my mouth and I glared at the woman as she spoke.

"Do you or do you now believe in the divinity of the Primes?" I clenched my jaw, not saying a word. This seemed to anger the woman. "I asked you a question."

"Bite me," I spat. The woman reacted by pressing the knife to my throat, causing my body to freeze. My eyes darted to Bellamy to the left, who had a scared look on his face.

"I'll ask you again. Do you or do you not believe in the divinity of the Primes?"

I said nothing as I gave the woman a small nod. The man beside her holding the cup brought it to my lips. I took a sip, a metallic taste running down my throat.

The woman moved to Octavia beside me, removing her gag. Before any words could be exchanged, the doors behind us opened. I turned around to see Murphy and Emori walking toward us.

Everyone around us bowed down, mumbling to themselves. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I watched them.

"What is the meaning of this?" Murphy asked.

"Blessed is Daniel. Blessed is Kaylee," the woman spoke. Daniel and Kaylee? What the hell? "Blessed are the Primes."

"Rise," Emori ordered, causing everyone to rise as she and Murphy walked to the front of the room, "and explain yourself."