Chapter 10: How do you know my name?

Chapter 10

 I waited until just before sunset the next day to make my move. In my room I emptied my book bag and packed it with my dad’s heavy duty flash light, a bottle of water, a small hunting knife my grandpa had given me for my birthday one year, matches, a lighter, a ham sandwich my mom had made for me earlier and a clear zip lock bag that contained the large uncooked steak I’d stolen from the fridge.

I zipped up the bag and proceeded to pull on my boots and a jacket. Satisfied, I took it up, looking around the room again to see if I missed anything. I spotted my phone on my bedside table and darted over to get it, slipping it into my jeans pocket before exiting my room.

When I entered the forest I closed my eyes and sniffed the air, the atmosphere never failed to soothe me.  Well it soothed me when I wasn’t lost or fearing for my life anyway. Adjusting my bag on my back I set off.

I was searching for trampled terrain, anything to indicate the path I had followed the day before and thankfully I didn’t have to look for long, I’d been pretty heavy footed last night so I could clearly see the trampled brush and I followed it trying to memorize the path I was taking.

 I certainly didn’t want a repeat of yesterday.

I walked until it grew dark and I had to take out the flash light. It didn’t provide as much illumination as I’d hoped it would but it got the job done.  As I walked on I noticed forest wasn’t quiet like it had been yesterday, I could hear, the hooting of an owl, the scurrying of rodents and the fluttering of wings are birds settled in for the night. And yes the crickets, the god awful crickets.

As I walked on for what seemed like hours I came to the area where the trail ended, I couldn’t tell if it was the same place the wolf had licked me, because the entire forest looked pretty much the same to me but I took off my bag, dropped it to my feet and began looking around for stray twigs or branches I could snap.

I placed all I collected into a pile and struck the match. In an instant I had fire. This was probably the only time I could say the lessons on camping I’d learned two years ago wasn’t so useless.

‘Please let this be the place.’ I thought to myself.

Now what?

 I’d hopefully found the spot from yesterday, I’d brought all the necessary equipment, I’d made a fire so now what? How did I get the wolf?

Wow Laken, way to think this through bro. I guess I’d been so caught up in the getting here I didn’t stop to think what to do when I actually got here.

Well I couldn’t very well stand here doing nothing now could I? Especially since my parents would be expecting me home by ten; they thought I was studying at Lyla’s. I’m a liar, I know. Don’t judge.

“Here wolfie wolfie wolfie.” I called as I walked, flash light in hand, into the forest.

“Here  wolfie.” Nothing. Maybe I wasn’t doing it right. Maybe he needed some incentive.

I walked back over to my bag and extracted the bag with the raw steak.  I didn’t even stop to think that the smell of raw steak could attract other unwanted predators, or that maybe the wolf wasn’t even in the forest anymore, maybe it went back to wherever it came from.

Nope I didn’t think about any of that important shit I just walked around the forest, waving my raw steak and calling out “wolfie” as I went. This lasted for about fifteen minutes and I turned to go back to the fire when I felt the hunger gnawing at my stomach.

 It wasn’t until I sat against the tree eating my ham sandwich that I felt a familiar presence to my left. Turning slowly, my eyes widened at the sight of him, I had forgotten how big he was.