Chapter 13: Diamond hearts

Chapter 13

“Ugh I just can’t understand how people eat pineapple on pizza! Everybody knows cheese and fruit don’t mix!” Lyla announced looking at Matt and Carson in disgust.

“And that’s why we’re best friends.” I said, then ginned when she reached across the table to give me a high five.

“You’re the only people I know who don’t like pineapple on pizza, you two have issues.” Matt said pointing his half eaten slice and us.

“Matt keep your food on your plate.” Lyla reprimanded, only to have him roll his eyes and bite of another chunk.

Carson sat beside me looking on with an amused expression. So far the ‘date’ was going well, he seemed to like my friends. Lyla was practically gushing over him and Matt seemed to like him ok enough.

At that moment the soft music that had been playing switched to a popular hip hop beat and Lyla let out a squeal that had me checking my ear drums to see if they were still intact.

“OMG! Laken you have to go show us some of your moves!” she shouted over the music.

“Moves?” Carson asked, eying her like she was a mad woman.

She looked at him, her mouth hanging open; “Don’t tell me you’ve never seen him dance?!” omg, he’s like the next Michael Jackson, go show him Laken.”

I blushed when they all looked at me expectantly. Yeah fun fact about yours truly, I can dance, I mean really dance, don’t know how or why I was blessed with such a talent but dancing always came easy to me, especially break-dancing, but I’d never done it in front of anyone but Lyla and Matt before and I was definitely not about to start in this crowded room.

Not that I could even if I wanted to anyway, what with my back and all. It was still very sore and even the smallest of movements caused a bit of discomfort.

You can dance?” Carson asked, a look of awe coming over his face. I didn’t know if I should be insulted that he was so shocked or if I should be flattered that he was even interested.

I shrugged it off.

“Laken I can’t believe you never told him! You should see him Carson, it’s breathtaking, he’s been trying to teach me some moves but I’m a klutz.” she said smiling at Carson, her eyes bright with excitement. She was always excited.

“He doesn’t tell me anything, I have to drag every piece of information out of him.” Carson told her with a grin.

“You do not! I tell you stuff!” I exclaimed.

“Not enough.” He said looking at me, with wide innocent eyes.

“Awwww you guys are soo cute! I always knew you would end up together!” Lyla said clasping her hand in obvious delight.

“What’d you mean you always knew we’d end up together? You were the one who told me to move on and tried to set me up with Derek.” I said with a smirk.

Carson looked up at her with questioning eyes; “pssh don’t listen to him Carson, I might not have said it, but I felt it in here.” she said, putting her hand over her heart. I chuckled

“So tell me everything!” she enthused grabbing Carson’s hand in hers causing him to have to stretch slightly over the table. He looked at her confused then looked to me for help. I just laughed and shook my head.

“She wants you to tell her how you feel about Laken, and all that emotional and all that emotional crap.” Matt spoke up. I almost forgot he was here, he’d been too busy with his pizza to talk before but now that it was done he was all ears.