Chapter 24: Talking to a dead man

Chapter 24

~Carson’s POV~

“I still can’t believe you’re alive.” Lucas said clearly still in awe.

“Yeah well I wouldn’t be if Thomas hadn’t found me when he did.” I said and we both looked over to the other room where Thomas stood talking on his phone.

I stretched out my legs trying to get comfortable on his couch, careful not to jar Laken who was stretched out on the couch sleeping with his head in my lap. I ran my hand through his curls. I’d never seen his hair this long before and I liked it. He shifted in his sleep his brows furrowing and I smoothed them out with my fingers.

Ever since I’d gotten here he hadn’t left my side. After the initial shock had worn off and he’d cried a bit he’d settled in the couch beside me and fought to stay awake for as long as he could but as expected after the crazy day he’d had his eyes had finally drifted close.

“How’s he been?” I asked Lucas who was sitting in the chair across from me, his eyes on my mate.

“He missed you.” Was all he said, his eyes still glued to Laken.

It was things like this that could make a man jealous but seeing the look in Lucas’ eyes made me realize just how much he cared for Laken and I could only be grateful that he had taken care of him. I’d made the split decision to leave Laken with him that night because instincts told me it would be a right one and it turns out I was right.

Laken was in good hands here. I’d constantly worried about him during my recovery, wondering how Lucas was treating him or if Victor had caught up with them, it very nearly drove me crazy and so as soon as I was recovered to the point where I no longer needed to be bedridden I’d asked Thomas to track him down and despite Thomas’ skill it certainly hadn’t been easy.

“Hasn’t he been eating?” I asked with concern. I had his hand in mine, he was practically  skin and bones.

“Do you have any idea how stubborn he is? Getting him to eat something daily was like pulling teeth.” He said shaking his head.

“Yeah that’s Laken alright, stubborn as hell.” I said with a small smile, tracing the outline of his face with my index finger.

“I get how you got away but…how did you survive that? You got five shots man, how does a person get shot five times and walk away from that?” he asked, his voice was low but the incredulity was still there.

“Wasn’t my time I guess. The bullets missed all my vital organs and every single shot went clean through. It sounds impossible but that’s what happened, got minor surgery on my shoulder but that’s it.” I answered, not quite believing it myself.

Of course I had the scars to prove it and the pain pills I was popping three times a day pretty much confirmed what happened, but Lucas was right, nobody just walked away from something like that. It was a miracle, one I’d be thanking my lucky stars for everyday.

“Damn.” Lucas intoned shaking his head in obvious disbelief; “when death’s not ready I guess it’s just not ready.”

My eyes narrowed at his tone. “Why do I get the feeling you wouldn’t have minded if I hadn’t come back?” I asked. Then my eyes drifted back down to Laken and I had my answer.

Lucas only shrugged but his expression gave nothing away.

“What’d I miss?” Thomas asked entering the room and flopping down on a nearby couch.

“Only that Lucas here isn’t too pleased with your rescue effort.” I said with a grin.

I was only joking but Thomas’; eyes flashed to Lucas’ face with a glare. Thomas wasn’t a big fan.