Chapter 25: Implications be damned

Chapter 25

I looked over at him again, took up a chip and crunched it between my teeth. The sound was almost deafening in the silent room, but he kept his eyes firmly on the papers before him.

We were at his house holed up in his study. I was supposed to be writing thank you letters to all the people who had sent me Christmas presents. When I’d gotten back to camp two days ago I was pretty surprised to see that people; as they had done every year before, had actually still gone out and gotten me gifts despite the troubles within the pack and now as was tradition, I was expected to write letters to every single one of them thanking them for their kindness.

‘Was’ being the operative word here because instead of focusing on my task I was trying to annoy the hell out of Carson who sat around his large mahogany desk doing pack business.

I took up another tortilla chip, stuck it in the dip and crunched it again, making sure to keep my mouth open enough so that he could here every bite.

Still nothing, not even a twitch.

I did it again and tried to hold back a grin when he finally looked at me with narrowed eyes.

I blinked over at him, trying to look innocent but he wasn’t fooled.

“Laken I have to get this work done today.” He said gesturing to the papers.

“Yeah I wanna get my letters done today too, so I really can’t talk right now.” I said fighting desperately to hide my grin while I turned my attention back to my letters.

He shook his head then turned back to his work.

After about a minute had passed I dipped into the bowl beside me for an extra large chip and bit into it, moaning as if it was the most delicious thing I’d ever tasted.

He looked over at me again and I held up the bowl offering him some. He glared at me. “You know that’s really distracting.” He said.

“Oh I’m not distracted, you want some or not?” I asked once again feigning innocence. He gritted his teeth and started scrawling on the sheet of paper vigorously while obviously trying to tune me out.

Ok maybe it was time to stop annoying him, I thought shifting in my seat in an attempt to get more comfortable but I didn’t have a firm grip on the dish in my hand so when my knee accidentally bounced it it fell from my hand and shattered against the tiled floor, shards of glass and pieces of chips scattering across his floor.

“That’s it!”

I looked up at Carson my eyes widening as he pushed up from his desk. He had a gleam in his eyes as he started making his way over to me.

Oh oh, I knew that look!

“Oh shit!” I squealed scrambling out of the chair and running towards the door, he grabbed my arm before I could make it into the hall though and half lifted me off the ground throwing me back into the chair, then he pounced.

“No no I’m sorry I won’t distract you anymore I swear I swear!” I shouted between fits of giggles while he tickled me mercilessly.

“Didn’t your mother ever tell you that you shouldn’t swear?” he said not even pausing with his ruthless tickling and I couldn’t even fight back because of his injuries so all I could do was laugh, squirm and beg.

Haha yes, I’m sorry haha stop!”

“You’ll leave me to my work?” he asked, still keeping up with the tickles.