Chapter 9: Nothing About That Is Normal

Chapter 9

“Neil!” I had lost count the number of times I’d called his name. It had been hours since I’d blindly run after him and I still couldn’t find him. Either he was that fast or he had already been captured, I prayed it was the former and cursed myself for running after him instead of telling Carson. It was dark and cold, my feet were killing me and I was lost. Yup a wolf that had no sense of direction…what else is new?

I hugged myself as I walked on, at this point I didn’t know if I was still searching for Neil or trying to get back to camp, I was just scared. For Neil and for myself, worst case scenario; Neil was already dead and I would never find my way back and die out here too. I shivered violently at the thought.

I had to get out of here.

It took me a while to realize that something was wrong. This was a forest yet I heard no animals scuttling around, no crickets making the god-awful sound they tended to make, no nothing. It was completely silent. Something wasn’t right.

I turned around in a full circle peering through the trees but there was nothing there. I don’t remember ever being so alone in my life. I prayed to God; please just let me find Neil so we can get out of here.

Please!

I whirled around when I heard a twig snap not far behind me, there was nothing there that I could see but when I heard the deep breathing chills ran up my spine.

“N-Neil…is t-that you?” I called out timidly. There was no reply just the same heavy breathing.

“Come on Neil, stop playing around.” It felt like my heart was lodged in my throat, the words came out in a jumbled mess. Not feeling particularly brave but needing to know if it really was Neil behind those trees I took a step forward, then another and another, my eyes trained on the spot where I could still hear the breathing.

When the figure stepped out from behind the tree I didn’t even have time to pause and take it all in, I whirled around like I was some god damn ballerina and broke into a run. I couldn’t even scream, I just ran and it was a good thing too because I could hear the creature behind me, it was gaining on me. I was never one into athletics but at the speed at which I was going the thought of joining the track team at school managed to cross my mind.

They said extreme levels of fear brought on hallucination; that must be why I was thinking about school at a time like this. I darted through the trees, ducking under low hanging branches and jumping over roots.

The creature never slowed its pace and for whatever strange reason I could still hear its breathing. I looked behind me for a second and tripped over something, falling flat. I was greeted with silence. I held my breath and looked around but there was nothing there. Cursing my luck I pushed up to my knees squinting through the darkness to examine my burning palms, they were scratched but not bleeding.

For the millionth time that night I debated changing into my wolf and quashed the idea. If an enemy pack saw a wolf they’d attack but if they saw a human they would try to stay clear (at least that’s what I’d heard) and so that was the reason I was still in this form. Not that it just did me any good since I was just chased by the biggest wolf I’ve ever fucking seen!

A twig snapped close by and I froze when I felt a presence behind me. I could also hear soft breathing, just picture one of the worst horror movies you’ve ever watched, that’s how it sounded to me in the silent forest.

My heart pounding in my chest I slowly turned around, still on my knees and came face to face with sharp white teeth which were attached to the large white wolf that was staring down at me. I let out o squeal and scrambled back on my hands and ass, only stopping when I felt the solid oak at my back.