Chapter 29 Those three words

A/N: Check out my story; "The Beta's Straight Mate"..it's all about Thomas and his situation.

Also Lucas' story called "The Criminal and The Vigilante" is also out on my profile.

Chapter 29

And so it was over. We’d won the war, we’d claimed victory and our pack was safe once more. The feeling was almost orgasmic in a sense. It had been three days since our victory and all the bodies had already been gathered up and buried. We’d had a memorial service yesterday in the courtyard for all the lives lost and tonight was the official victory celebration.

I was sitting on a stool beside Carson, our backs to the brick wall of someone’s house as we watched the craziness take place around us. There was singing and dancing as the music blasted from Thomas’ loud speakers.

People were drinking and giving toasts while others sat looking on somber and withdrawn; I shouldn’t forget that others had lost their relatives and friends in the battle and so there would certainly be no need for them to celebrate.

 I looked around the courtyard, my eyes finding Lucas in the crowd. He was dancing with Alpha of the Marcana pack. I watched as he bent to whisper something in her ear and she laughed a soft yet rich sound that made me smile. If it wasn’t for their help we would most likely still be fighting for our lives.

If not for them we would have lost a lot more than we had and Victor would possible have gotten away, turns out his body had been found in the woods, broken and battered; his throat had been ripped open. Carson told me he had been mauled by a bear-one of Lucas’ friends and despite the relief I felt at his death I had to wonder about his daughter.

What did she think of all this? Was she mourning her father’s death? Or celebrating the fact that this evil man was no longer breathing? Was she sitting around plotting revenge on our pack or had Neil found her and run off to someplace magical to live their fairytale lives? 

It was a question I couldn’t answer but I hoped this would finally be the end. It was time for Carson and I to get our own fairy tale; I held the firm belief that we deserved to live happy lives, we’d been through too much not to be expended such a courtesy.

……………………………………..

~Michael’s POV~

“I was wrong.” I admitted to my wife and life mate.

“About what dear?” she asked, gazing at me with beautiful eyes which held no secrets.

“Laken, he deserves to find love, it doesn’t matter who his mate is.” I told her, my eyes never leaving hers. She didn’t say anything, instead a soft smile graced her lips and tears I knew she wouldn’t shed tonight filled her eyes as she stared back into mine and I knew that what I said pleased her.

My gaze travelled back to my son, who sat across the courtyard with the Alpha. He had his head tilted as he spoke to our leader with a wide smile on his face, his eyes seemed to twinkle as he spoke and I watched as his hand drifted and he took the Alpha’s hand in his.

I don’t remember a time I had ever seen him so happy, so unbelievably satisfied and I knew I would never forgive myself for trying to break them apart in the first place. My son was happy; he was in love, just as I was in love with his mother.

It was a beautiful and sacred feeling to be with someone you cared about to such an extent. To feel as though you would give them the world if you could, to feel as though a five minute separation felt like five hours. Laken had that now and I didn’t need to worry whether or not his feelings would be reciprocated because any old fool could see the love in the Alpha’s eyes as he gazed into my son’s eyes.