Chapter 4

So... still 5th grade, still 10 years old, do I need to say the reminder?

I excused myself from class to go use the bathroom.

I needed to clear my head(and empty my bladder).

As I washed my hands, I thought it over.

They said that there was going to be a meeting later today at lunch, about student council.

Did I want to go? 

Let me explain a bit. At our school, there is a student council. This is how it works:

There are two presidents; the presidents are both from 5th grade, one from the Mandarin program, one from the honor's program.

Then there are 4 representatives. They are also 5th grade, but it doesn't matter which program they're from.

After that, it's the Vice Presidents. There is one from the Mandarin Program, and one from the honor's program.

Last are the representatives. Again, 4 of them, and it doesn't matter which program.

(I know some schools have class presidents and stuff like that, but just to clarify, the student council is for the whole school. Imagine being president for the whole school. That's why there are two of them.)

Last year I was absent on the day of the election, so it wouldn't have been possible even if I tried.

But this year, I have a clear shot. No one to stop me. So should I do it?

By the end of recess, I had decided.

"If you are interested in becoming part of student council, please sign your name here!" Ms. Davis called.

I squared my shoulders, stood up straight, and walked toward her.

My friends gasped.

I suppose I was making it a bit more dramatic than necessary, but did they really need to gasp?

I signed my name with a flourish and walked off.

When the lunch bell rang, I walked quickly to classroom number 24, and sat down, sitting up straight.

I looked around.

No 5th grade boys. A lot of 4th grade boys, though. They were equally balanced by girls.

5th grade was a women only party, I guess. This shows females have strength and confidence. Men are too cowardly.

After Ms. Miller finished explaining everything, she handed out forms. We all looked at them curiously.

"This is your first and only test. These forms are due in two days, at 10:45 in the dot. I will come around and collect them. Leaders are responsible and follow instructions. You are a leader if you can turn these in. Your parents must sign it, and you must too. Good luck." she suddenly smiled.

"Your family would be proud." she said, looking straight at me.

I looked her in the eye and said, "Yes, Ms. Miller."

She nodded.

"Eye contact is good, too. Oh, and if you lose it or forget it or give it to me at 10:44 or 10:46, you are out of the race."

I nodded, determined to remember.

I'd write it on my hand in sharpie if I had to.

Hope everybody likes it so far!