Thirty Three

Ryan schooled his expression to not show too much surprise at the sight of Sam sitting in his father’s office. Giving her a nod of acknowledgement, he settled into the chair next to hers, flicking open the buttons of his suit jacket.

He met his father’s gaze, wondering why the old man had decided to call the both of them into his office. Surely they’d already discussed the Caine project at length, so unless it had to do with something else…

He looked at Sam and catching her eye, he raised an eyebrow in silent inquiry. She gave a nearly imperceptible shrug to let him know she was also in the dark about the purpose of the meeting.

“Good, now you’re both here, let’s carry on.” Bradford said, giving each of them a piercing look. “I’m aware you both have a lot to do today, so I’ll get straight to the point.”

Ryan found himself once more under scrutiny and felt his muscles tense in anticipation, steeling himself to receive bad news. After all, it was the old man’s specialty as far as he was concerned.

What had he fucked up this time? The Caine project was back on track, things in the department were in order...so what?

Dread squeezed his heart as a thought occurred to him. He glanced at Sam, her attention now focused on Bradford as she waited for him to continue.

Had his father somehow found out about their relationship?

Bradford’s next words confirmed his worst fears.

“I recently received a rather disturbing report,” Bradford pursed his lips, expression impassive as he regarded them both. “That there might be some...sort of relationship between you two. How true is this?”

Ryan heard Sam’s sharp intake of breath, just loud enough to be heard by him, but not Bradford. A quick glance showed her sitting ramrod straight, but her expression carefully blank, though he caught the way her knuckles whitened from grasping her hands together.

Shit. Fucking damn shit. He had to take things in hand before the shit hit the fan.

Forcing tense muscles to relax, he affected an air of studied nonchalance.

“Where did you hear that?” He scoffed, shaking his head as though the very notion was ridiculous. “Stooping to pay attention to break room rumours now for ammunition, are we, dad? You must be more desperate than I thought. ”

The dig hit its mark. Bradford stiffened, shooting him a derisive glare.

“Watch your words, boy.” He growled, slamming a palm on the table, sending the stack of papers flying. “I’ll not have you speaking to me that way.”

“Then, maybe you should stop pulling shit out your ass and quit dragging innocent people into your fucked up agenda.”

His father’s face turned red, and he leaned forward, eyes narrowed to menacing slits. “You’re treading on thin ice, son.”

“Do you think I give a -”

“Stop it!” Sam’s outburst cut off his words mid flow.

Shocked, Ryan turned to see her watching him, mouth set in a tight line, eyes flashing daggers at him. Anger drained out of him in seconds, quickly replaced by guilt as the realization that he’d dragged her into the feud with his father.