Eighteen

Ryan winced as his mother continued in an irate tone. In the background, he could hear noises filtering through and concluded she must have left the base camp and gone into town to make the call.

“Do you have any idea how embarrassing it was to be asked about something like that and have no idea what the reporter was talking about? My own family kept me in the dark about something so monumental, I can’t believe the nerve of you and Hailey.”

He cursed under his breath and pinched the skin between his eyebrows to stop the headache that was fast blooming. He cast an apologetic glance at Sam, but she’d already turned away, so he merely stood and walked out, back to the privacy of his own office.

“Are you even listening to a word I’ve been saying?”

He sighed. Today was rapidly turning into a shitty day. First Sam, and now Mom.

“I’m listening,” He replied, leaning against the shut door. “I’m sorry you had to find out that way, Mom, I swear, I was going to call you, but I figured you had enough on your plate with the research.”

“That’s not an excuse.” It was clear she didn’t buy the explanation, and frankly, neither would he if he were in her position.

The truth of the matter was, telling her had totally slipped his mind until now. But there was no way in hell he was going to tell her that. He was forgetful, not suicidal.

He tried another tactic. “Mom, I can explain…”

“Save the explanation,” she cut in. “You can tell me all about it when we talk face to face.”

He felt color leech from his face. “You’re in New York?”

Please say no, please say no.

“I’m still in Reykjavik,” the reply sent a bolt of relief, but her next words obliterated any hope of a reprieve. “My flight is scheduled to leave in an hour, so I should be in New York in about five hours from now. I expect you to be at the airport by then.”

She cut off the call before he could say anything else.

"Shit!" He stared at the phone in horror, knowing full well that his life was about to take a dramatic turn for the worse with his mother’s visit. He shuddered, just thinking of the tongue lashing that awaited all three of them, especially his father.

He almost felt sorry for the old man.

Almost.

I can't catch a break, can I?

Another call came through, this time from Hailey, and she sounded just as alarmed as he was.

"Did mom -?"

"Just now."

"Fuck!"

"My sentiments exactly. I thought you told her already?"

"I forgot."

"Me too."

"Dammit, Ryan." Hailey sounded on the verge of tears. "Furious mom is the last thing I want to deal with, on top of this morning sickness that's kicking my ass."