Thirty

"Hey Sam, over here!"

Squinting in the rather dim light of the hotel bar, Sam caught sight of Jane waving her over to the table where the rest of the office staff where seated, clustered around several booths. Marshmellow's 'Happier' mingled with the chatter of voices to create a cheerful ambience.

As she neared, weaving her way through tables filled mostly with familiar faces, most of them acknowledged her arrival with smiles and waves and more than one drunken cheer.

Still, it was Ryan's appreciative gaze that sent butterflies dancing in her stomach. He was seated at one of the booths, arms resting on the table, a glass of spirits cradled in his big hands as he watched her approach.

Blue eyes did a thorough perusal of her from head to toe, a gleam Sam was all too familiar with appearing in his heated gaze as he took in the short black dress that lovingly hugged her curves, stopping just mid thigh to reveal bare legs that ended in silver high heeled sandals. The look in his eyes made the long trip back home to shower and change before meeting the rest of the PD department for celebratory drinks worthwhile.

Her skin prickled with the heat of his desire as she walked over, careful to keep her expression mild, mindful of the audience around them even though every fibre of her being burned with sexual awareness that almost made it difficult to string two coherent thoughts together.

"Hello everyone." She aimed a wide smile that emcompassed everyone at the table, reaching up to tuck a lock of hair behind her ears. "Sorry I'm late, my meeting ran a little later than anticipated."

To say that Yash had been displeased by her decision to move, and even more grumpy when shed told him she'd already found a place would be a gross understatement. Her brother had grumbled and argued with her decision until Dee and Sam had finally worn him down, answering each one of his arguments with a logical answer until he'd been reduced to glaring at them both and muttering about stubborn women under his breath.

Honestly, thank goodness for Dee, or that would have gone on forever. But like she'd hoped, the idea of having his girlfriend move in had done the trick with Yash.

In the midst of it, Sam had gotten a text from Jane letting her know the department would be going out for celebratory drinks after winning the Caine contract. Ryan had given the staff the rest of the day off for those who wanted to go home and refresh first and Sam had decided to take advantage of that.

And from the looks of it, most of the female staff had had the same idea too, most now dressed in evening wear and fresh makeup.

"No need to apologise," Brian, the senior architect waved away her apology. His face already had the reddened tint of someone who'd indulged in one too many drinks.

"Here, I saved a seat for you." Jane lifted a black purse from the chair beside her and motioned for Sam to take the seat, which incidentally was next to Ryan.

Ryan, who hadn't said a word since she'd arrived, but hadn't taken his eyes off her.

He was still dressed in work clothes, though he'd ditched the jacket and tie, leaving only the light blue shirt underneath with the sleeves rolled up to expose nicely tanned muscular forearms - a sexy casual look that suited him so well, she was damn sure she wasn't the only female in this room having fantasies about feeling up those arms and being held in a passionate embrace.