Twenty Eight

Ryan’s heart thudded with every step he took towards Sam, his gaze intent on her face and those eyes that shone with liquid heat. Did she know what she was doing to him with that look? He was rock hard, every nerve straining to take what she offered, to capture those sultry lips in a kiss that set them both ablaze.

He walked until he stood before her, but still he moved till barely an inch separated them and she had to lean back, butt resting against the table, legs slightly spread. Taking advantage, he stepped between them, pressing up against her, hard and throbbing to soft and yielding, and the breathy moan that slipped past her lips at the contact was nearly his undoing.

Bracing an arm on either side of her, palms flat on the table, he stared into her eyes, almost losing himself in their depths. His body screamed at him to just kiss her now, to take what she had on offer, but this time, Ryan wanted no misunderstanding between them. There were things they had to make clear before plunging into the whirlpool that waited.

“What exactly do you want, Princess?” He whispered the words, enjoying the shiver that shook her, and the flash of impatience in her expression. “What do you want from this?”

“You know what I want.” Her tone was petulant. She lifted her head, trying to reach up and kiss him, but he caught her chin in his hands and held her off gently.

“Do I?” He raised a brow and shook his head. “No, I don’t think so. You need to make it clear where this is going. If we do this, I want things clear between us, no awkward moments afterwards and no pretending it never happened. Is this a onetime thing for you?”

Because, it sure as hell wasn’t going to be just the once for him. He knew deep down he would never be content with having her just once more. Once he got her in his bed, he was going to need to do it over and over again before he could finally get past this crazy desire for her.

Her pupils darkened and she cocked her head, not breaking eye contact even as she mulled over his words. He could almost see the wheels turning in her head, every second that passed without her answer causing tension to seep into him, winding him up tight. He wouldn’t be surprised if she called the whole thing off now and bolted. 

Disappointed, but not surprised.

“I want you to take me to bed,” her words sent a bolt of relief rushing through his system.

“I’m not looking for a relationship, but I don’t want a onetime thing with you, either. We’re two adults who acknowledge our sexual attraction and I’d like to keep it that way. No strings, no complications and certainly nothing that gets in the way of our professional relationship. And if it’s turns out to be a mistake, then it’s a mistake I’m not going to regret making.”

It was what he wanted too. All the sex and none of the awkward feelings and need for commitment. Ryan wasn’t sure he would ever get to the point where he would be ready to commit to someone again, to make himself vulnerable to hurt and heartache, so this arrangement with Sam was best for them both.

“Good.” He smiled and cupped her delicate face in both hands, bringing his lips to hers.

She made a soft, breathless noise against his lips, parting readily for him, anticipation making the kiss just that much hotter, sweeter and the lust that had been simmering between them exploded in a conflagration that engulfed them both.