Fourteen

Ryan stared into the depths of the amber liquid in his glass and asked himself for the umpteenth time, what he was still doing here.

The plan to drown out memories of the kiss that wasn't supposed to happen, had failed abysmally, if anything, the alcohol now buzzing through his system had only made things worse, taking a simple memory and amplifying it a million times, carrying events a step further by not only recreating the kiss, but now pictures of what could have happened if Sam hadn't stopped him, tormented him.

Maybe he would have stroked his way up her thighs till his fingers touched the heated spot between her legs. Maybe he would have swallowed her moans as he cupped her there, caressing through her soaked panties, while she held onto him for dear life, pleading against his mouth for more until he gave her what she wanted by slipping her panties aside and burying his finger in her hot, dripping pussy.

Maybe he'd add another finger, thumb stroking her clit, her cries of pleasure echoing in the small space while she rode his hand to an orgasm. He wouldn't just stop there, he'd go on his damn knees and taste, lick and suck until he made her come a second time, drinking in her juices as she screamed his name over and over again.

A burst of laughter from the other occupants in the room, pulled him back to reality, and for one terrifying moment, he thought they were laughing at the fact he was sporting a massive boner while indulging in lustful thoughts about his colleague.

He relaxed when he realized Jax, engaged in telling anecdotes about his adventures on the field had said something funny to set them off.

He sighed, shifting in his seat to ease the discomfort in his jeans, which were certainly not tailored to support a raging boner.

I should take up Landon's offer to hook me up.

He eyed the five women currently sitting beside two other of his college buddies; Jax and Lucas, who had been invited as well.

The girls were pretty enough, he thought, lifting his glass for a sip, as he studied them from above the rim.

The platinum blonde seemed besotted with Jax though, practically hanging onto his every word, and half draped over the NFL star.

Lucas, an applications manager at Apple, had come with his girl; a pretty redhead he'd introduced as Christie, and the two sat slightly apart from the group, engrossed in their own world.

He studied the pair, noting the attraction that swirled between them and shook his head.

That had once been Nicky and I.

He could remember the two of them, spending countless hours wrapped in a cocoon of what he'd assumed to be love but had turned out to be a fucking sham.

Love didn't exist, as far as he was concerned. It was just a side effect of one's brain short circuiting and sending warped signals. It was just lust, magnified, with a thick veil over its victim's eyes, blinding them to harsh truth.

Ah well. He hoped Lucas didn't come to discover that the way he had. He was a good guy, but a little too naive where women were concerned.

That left three out of the five. Two blondes were currently wrapped around Meyers, and Ryan didn't do blondes - not anymore, and the third, the woman who'd met him at the entrance, a lovely brunette named Heather, had been giving Ryan inviting looks, but for the life of him, he couldn't muster any interest.

He sighed again. Maybe it was time to leave. Just go home, take another cold shower and get some sleep. His stomach rumbled, and he amended the plan to include grabbing a bite to eat, before hitting his bed.