chapter sixteen // incredible, amazing and other stupid words.

liam's pov

"Now Liam, be sure to tell me if you're experiencing any pain at all. It won't help you if you push yourself too far, it'll only do damage," Dr. Gerard tells me, clearly knowing people well enough to know that we'll endure any sort of pain in order to feel as if we're getting better.

I nod, swallowing a nervous lump in my throat, but seeing Ellie stand there just a few steps behind him makes me feel a thousand times better. She gives me a cheerful smile full of encouragement, making it near impossible not to smile right back at her. 

Louis's words fill my brain, making my thoughts all foggy. I had been up all night thinking about it, and it was blatantly obvious as I sat there with Ellie as I do every night before she goes home for the evening. She kept asking me what was on my mind because I was acting all quiet. 

I just can't get myself to tell her how I feel, too afraid, but I know I can't keep this inside for much longer. I've never been very good at keeping things contained. I'm an open book. 

"Ellie, why don't you stand on his other side and watch so you can go through this with him when I'm not here," Dr. Gerard looks to Ellie as he places his hands beneath my back.

Ellie's eyes widen as she looks at him, and I can tell she's a little nervous, to which I shoot her an assuring smile. She obediently nods, hurrying over to my other side, running her fingers over the end of her long, blonde braid as she studies his actions carefully, an adorable crinkle between her eyebrows. 

"I'm going to sit you up," Dr. Gerard says, going through the routine, like always, informing me what he's doing before doing it.

I brace myself, ready for the searing pain that shoots up my back most of the time any of the doctors shift me. Last time it was less painful, but still uncomfortable. It always makes me feel even worse inside, knowing I can't even sit up anymore. It's not until you lose something that you realize how much you took it for granted.

"Alright Liam, on the count of three, I'll slowly lift you," He continues, using a calm voice as I continue to wince, "One," He begins, "Two," He continues, and my eyes stay squeezed shut until I feel a soft pair of hands touch my arm, causing one eye to pop open to sneak a peek. Ellie smiles at me, looking so positive and optimistic, I can't help but to breathe with ease, knowing it'll all be okay, "Three."

Then slowly, Dr. Gerard starts to push against my back, putting pressure on it. My body aches as if I had slept on it funny, but it doesn't quite hurt. I can hear the stiff bones cracking quietly as he continues to push me upright. 

Ellie's grip on my arm tightens, causing my head to whip around to look at her once more. Her mouth is wide open in a large grin as she stares at Dr. Gerard, a gasp leaving her lips.

"You're not feeling any pain, Mr. Payne?" He asks me, looking at me with nervousness as he continues to lift my torso.

"It's a little stiff, but not painful," I admit honestly, looking back at him with anxiety. Is something wrong? Why is he looking at me so oddly?

Dr. Gerard looks up to Ellie as he pushes me up, to a complete sitting position, supporting my back completely.

I look around the room with a brand new set of eyes. The entire room looks so different, and all because of a change of position. My stomach muscles tighten as I use all my strength trying to keep myself up, but it's no use. I give in, allowing Dr. Gerard to hold me up completely.

"Oh my - " I breathe,

"God," Ellie finishes for me, "This is incredible. This is incredible, right, Dr. Gerard?" She looks at him with wide, excited eyes, practically jumping around in her place. She can't help but to let out a breathy laugh, brimming to the top with enthusiasm.