chapter twenty-three // have faith.

dr. frenette's pov

The other doctors and I all file into the board room, making sure to lock the doors behind us. Dr. Pierson goes across the room and shuts all the blinds, making sure the media doesn't somehow get information out of this meeting, where a lot of important things will be discussed.

Just looking around the room, you would have thought we were all meeting to discuss retirement. The past twelve hours have put more stress on us than we thought imaginable. I think we all aged about fifty years or so. 

Dr. Gerard and Dr. Kaye take seats across from Dr. Pierson, Dr. Hammond and I, slumping down with exhaustion. This meeting was crucial, but not as crucial as the need to sit down for a few moments. We've all been running around since around four this morning. 

"How are you all doing? Everyone get their coffee this morning or should we send out an intern to make a run?" I begin the meeting, looking around at my staff with worry. 

I've just gotten out of a meeting with the Chief of Medicine himself, Dr. Jenkins, who has expressed a lot of concern of the situation on my hands. I promised him that I would have it all taken care of.

Now that I'm no longer staring my boss in the eyes, I'm not so confident.

They all nod their heads, waving a hand of assurance at me, though I'm sure they could all use another cup.

"I talked with surgical, knowing how much of gossips they can be," Dr. Hammond speaks up first, getting right to business, as she always does, "And they assured me they hadn't let Mr. Payne's identity slip."

I nod, rubbing the bridge of my nose. The mystery of how Liam's identity got released has still been nagging me in the back of my brain. I had pegged it upon surgical at a point as well, knowing they have nothing better to do than to spread hospital gossip. 

"I really don't think we should be going on a manhunt," Dr. Gerard shakes his head, "I mean, word got out that Liam was hurt, and I'm sure people went digging, and we're the closest hospital to the last show they performed. It wasn't that well hidden," She shrugs his shoulders, causing the rest of us to frown and shake our heads. 

I suppose if you put it that way, we're lucky we got the month that we did in complete privacy. 

"So what should we do about the crowds of people? Those fans are incredibly dedicated, and there's only so much the police can do about them. They're not about the throw a thousand thirteen year old girls in jail," Dr. Pierson asks, sending us right back into the hard part of the meeting; making decisions. 

I wish we had one of Liam's management here to help us out, but they're all a group of idiots and I'd rather go into the pits of fans myself than ask them for help. They have no regard for the boys health whatsoever. They're only worried about their paycheck. 

I can feel my blood boiling as Dr. Gerard speaks up,

"Well, Thanksgiving's coming up, and they're bound to go home for at least the holiday, right?" He jokes, but the rest of us simply groan.

God dammit; the holidays.

"Not Thanksgiving," Dr. Kaye moans, slumping back in her chair, wearing an incredibly distressed expression.

The holidays were an extremely stressful time at the hospital because no one wanted to be there for them; doctors and patients alike. Now that sounds like a simple solution, right? Not at all. 

We were stuck having to schedule doctors to work the holidays, no matter how desperately they begged for it off. Everyone had families they wanted to spend the day with, but someone has to be at the hospital.