chapter eight // the future.

liam's pov

My eyes cast anxiously towards the clock for the twentieth time in the last two minutes. I can't help but to impatiently watch the hands of the clock, glaring at them as if they were mocking me as they slowly ticked past the roman numerals. 

I used to dread looking upon the clock, knowing that it meant nothing here in this isolated room. The clock only showed me the time I was not spending doing what I love. 

But now, something has come up that causes me to watch the clock from the moment I wake up. 

At precisely 12:45pm, the clumsy blonde will waltz - well, I can't really quite say that she dances around, more like stumbles - her way into my room, holding her damn princess lunchbox in one hand, and usually messing around with her long blonde waves with the other. She asks me if she can eat lunch with me, as if I could possibly say no to those big baby blues of hers. 

We've been eating lunch together for a week now, and it's quite honestly the highlight of my day. I feel so ridiculous as my heart monitor starts to beep more rapidly the closer the clock gets to 12:45. Thank god I usually can calm myself down the moment Ellie walks in. There's something just so serene about her smile, with her high cheekbones that stick out with her natural pinkness to her complexion. 

Josie brings in my lunch, asking as she always does everday, if I need help eating, to which I reply with my same answer, that I'll be fine on my own. After Zayn insisted upon feeding me, I was determined to have some sort of independence. And now with Ellie watching me, I have to do it on my own. How pathetic would that be to ask her to feed me like some child. It's becoming easier and easier each day. 

Ellie motivates me quite a lot, even if she has no idea she's doing it. 

A knock on the door at around 12:15 causes my eyebrows to furrow together. Ellie doesn't get off for lunch for another half hour, and the lads are all out for the day, dealing with business. 

"Come in?" I call out, but it comes out more of a question as I pull my covers up so my bare chest isn't exposed for whoever's entering. 

The door slowly sings open and I'm met with those large blue eyes I've come so accustomed to this past week. A pleasant surprised smile ventures on to my face as she exchanges with me one of her world famous bashful smiles. 

But she's not alone. Behind her is the very distinguishable Dr. Frenette. Though I was quite intimidated by him in the beginning, I'm starting to see what Ellie has been saying about him; that he is actually a soft-hearted person deep down.

Then four incredibly loud boys pile in after the doctors, whispering and laughing with one another. They all look ecstatic to see me, as they always do. It makes me feel quite loved, but of course, I'd never tell them that. 

But then after the lads walk a few faces I had not expected to see. Simon walks in, wearing an unreadable expression on his face as always. He stands with our tour manager Tyler, who I haven't seen since we left the venue, over a week ago. When he lays eyes on me, he sends me one of his friendly smiles, but I can still see the sadness in his eyes. Then a few other faces from management that look familiar, but I can't quite put a name to their faces. 

"Hello Liam," Dr. Frenette smiles at me, still wearing that business-like expression that has been permanently cemented to his features, "Your management is here and we're going to discuss your condition and your job, if that's okay with you?" He asks as he takes a seat as a nurse brings in a variety of chairs for everyone. 

I can't quite get my tongue to function, so I mumble something incoherent as I nod, trying my hardest to sit up so I'm able to look everyone in the eyes. I try my hardest not to grin like an idiot as Ellie takes the seat closest to me. She taps her clipboard nervously as she eyes the men of management anxiously.