chapter eleven // giddiness.

ellie's pov

My heart pounds recklessly inside my chest as I nervously check over my shoulders every other second to be sure we're not being followed. Louis walks several feet behind me with his hoodie pulled over his head, covering him as much as possible. A few of my co-workers wave at me as they head back inside after their own lunch break. 

The keys in my hand jingle as my fingers shake anxiously. My eyes land on my small black car parked in it's usual spot in the parking ramp. Louis begins to advance, checking around to be sure no one's watching as he quickly hurries into the passenger seat. 

I feel like the driver of a getaway car pulling off some sort of heist. My hands are shaking as I tightly grip my steering wheel. Louis does his best to hide his face inside his hood as I start up the car, turning on the heat immediately as I shiver in my small little coat. 

"The least amount of traffic we have to sit in, the better," Louis tells me as I pull out of the parking spot, carefully driving through the ramps into the city.

"Don't worry, I know a short cut," I assure him. Trips to the airport are common for interns at the hospital. Often times when Doctors are called away for business, the interns are the ones sent to chauffeur them around. 

I pull down several smaller streets and alleyways, concentrated on the road. I've never driven with such precious cargo in my hands. If I got in an accident, everything would be ruined. One Direction's whereabouts would be revealed and they'd probably have to leave. 

Which would mean Liam would have to leave, and that's not really a risk I'm willing to take. 

✚      ✚      ✚      ✚      ✚     ✚

Louis's knees knock against the dashboard as he peeks out of his hoodie, scanning the large crowds of people piling out of the airport. I'm parked at the exit doors, my foot ready to slam on the gas in case Louis is spotted by anyone. 

His fingers drum against his knobby knees in his tight black pants as we sit in silence, not allowing either of us to be distracted. 

I continue to check my watch, nervous that I'll be late getting back and Dr. Frenette will know I'm up to something. Another part of my brain tugs, worrying about whether Liam's alright. If something happened with him and I wasn't there, I don't think I'd forgive myself for awhile. 

Just as I'm about to check my watch for the thousandth time, Louis jumps out of the car, sending me nearly a foot in the air. My car jerks as my foot taps the gas, but I stop myself before I end up crashing into the car in front of me. 

Pressing hard on the brake, I peer out the window curiously after Louis. The only thing I can see of Mia is her dark hair peeking out of a black beanie. Her face is buried in Louis's neck as they embrace, desperately clinging to one another. I can feel a smile spreading across my lips as I watch the reunion before me. 

Louis had told me their story on the drive over here and I'd be lying if I said it didn't warm me up completely. It's obvious that he loves her more than anything on this planet. It was evident how hard it's been being away from her for this long. 

The two share a moment, whispering words only they can hear to one another between kisses. I look away, not wanting to intrude in their special moment. A pang of jealousy aches in my chest, wishing I had something like that. They have the type of love you only hear stories about, which makes seeing it in person seem even more out of reach for me .

 I pretend to be busy tapping away on my phone, while they take a few more moments to themselves. My palms get sweaty as I grow more and more nervous to meet this Mia girl. I'm not all that great with first impressions.