chapter twenty-eight // literally anywhere but here

ellie's pov

"Niall, sorry dear but your spot is at the guest table downstairs in the den," Karen meets Niall and I as we head back to join everyone else. He gives my hand a squeeze before he leaves my side and heads down the stairs, "Ellie, your spot is right there next to Liam," she ushers me to the table, where everyone is already seated and waiting to begin eating. 

Thankfully I had splashed some water on my face to mask my puffy eyes. Either no one noticed, or no one wanted to ask me why I had retreated into the bathroom to cry my eyes out. 

Though I'm sure it wasn't that hard to piece together. 

I take my seat quietly beside Liam, who is conveniently seated between Rosalie and I. Luckily I had Zayn on my other side, who with Linley appears to be the only one of the boys to be seated with us upstairs. 

I can feel Liam's eyes on me, full of confusion, probably incredibly curious as to why Niall and I were in the bathroom together alone for about fifteen minutes, but I didn't dare meet his gaze in fear that I would get upset once again. 

Instead I folded my hands in my lap and watched everyone else, waiting patiently for the dinner - and to be frank, the entire trip - to be over. 

"Now, Ellie, we're not all sure how this dinner is supposed to go about," Karen looks at me with her eyebrows furrowed together, "If there are any other traditions that we've forgotten, please, let us know," She tells me, turning everyone's attention to me. 

Caught off guard, I sit up straight and clear my throat, my cheeks turning ever-so-pink. 

"You've done everything perfectly," I assure her, "Some families go around and tell what they're thankful for before the meal, but from experience, let me tell you that it's not necessary and only irritates the guests as they stare at the food in front of them," I smile, causing everyone to laugh. 

"Well then, dig in everyone," Geoff claps his hands together, causing everyone to begin piling the delicious smelling food onto their plate, "And I'll just say I'm thankful for many things Ellie does for us, but I may be the most thankful for having her here to bring an excuse to eat this delicious food," He smiles at me, causing me to blush and smile in return. 

The others around the table break out into agreement, throwing compliments in my direction. I smile and keep my eyes focused under the table, a blush creeping up my neck. 

"I say we keep her around just for this reason," Zayn jokes, softly elbowing me in my side, giving me a genuine smile. 

These people sure know how to make me feel 100% better. The warmth and friendliness at the table is so foreign to me, I can't help but to bask in it. 

After finally taking my first bite, I can't help but to make an audible noise of amazement. The food was the most delicious thing I've ever tasted in my life.

"This is the most amazing Thanksgiving meal I've ever tasted," I can't help but to gush, excitedly cutting into my next piece of turkey. 

Everyone laughs but adds their compliment to Karen and Geoff as well, agreeing that the food is marvelous.

I want to continue diving into the delicious food, but I can feel a watchful gaze burning into my skin, making me feel insecure. Looking out of the corner of my eye, I catch a bitter glare coming from Rosalie as she watches me over Liam's head. 

Sinking further into my seat until she disappears behind Liam, I try my hardest to push her from my thoughts. I'm not sure why she should feel any anger towards me. I've done nothing to her; I haven't even uttered a single word in her direction.