She's in The Rain

".."
It's better to be held than holding on.

"It's better to be held than holding on

".."

Deep into the night, Hayley sat in her bedroom, with the lights off aside from the bedside one, absently twirling a glass of bourbon in her hands.

Though she often joked about it, she wasn't one to drink much. She rarely indulged in alcohol but the thought of what would have been tomorrow made her crack one of Sheila's bottles open.

Her eyes had been glued on a familiar picture for hours now. One taken three years prior, probably the time when she was the happiest. Truly and simply happy. A time where she didn't need to worry about money. A time where only her and the woman she considered her only family mattered.

".. hah .." Hayley lifted the glass, cheering in front of the unmoving flame with a morose smile. "Happy birthday, Marmee. I hope you're happy wherever you are ..." The bourbon burned her throat as she threw the glass back but it didn't matter. At least she was feeling something.

".."

The next morning, Hayley entered the kitchen, startled by Bonnie's presence on one of the sitting stools. Sheila was cooking - or trying to -, which was also unusual since the witch would not even be awake at this hour.

"Morning Gram's," Hayley kissed the older woman's temple before she went to sit next to Bonnie. "Hey, Bon'," she gave her friend a side hug. "Weren't you supposed to spend the week at your dad's?"

Bonnie cleared her throat, fidgeting. "I was, but..." she shared a look with Sheila before eyeing Hayley. "How are you doing?"

Hayley looked between the pair, catching on to this whole scene. "I'm fine," she rolled her eyes. Sure, she had been a bit of a grinch this week but she's warned them all that she needed to be left alone. "You," she pointed at Sheila. "Stop cooking, it doesn't suit you and Gram's ... you're burning the bacon and you," she turned to Bonnie. "Stop hovering! I'm really fine."

Bonnie looked dubious at her words and Sheila turned off the stove, leaning on the kitchen island. "Honey, it's okay not be okay, you know. Especially today."

"Because it's her birthday, right?" Hayley quietly questioned, saying what they were both too afraid to say. "Because today, Marmee should've been here to celebrate spending six decades on this earth, right?" She stood up, taking the spatula from Sheila's hand and turning the stove back on. "Well, she's not. She'll never come back but I'm here, and I'm fine. And this conversation is over."

Turning her back to them, Hayley continued to cook the breakfast Sheila had attempted. While her back remained tall and strong, the pair missed the lost look in the hybrid's eyes.

".."

"Hey, you okay?"

Hayley mentally groaned at Elena's voice and for once, it wasn't because it grated on her eardrums.