Puppy Love (1)

".."
"The other night I had you in my head, called you on my phone ..."

".."

Hayley's eyes traveled down the expense of a certain brunette boy's very well-developed chest and abs, an appreciative glint in her gaze.

She was officially distracted from the ice-making.

It had been two months since Bonnie welcomed her to the town and to say Hayley did not expect any of this was an understatement. "This" being her in a swimsuit near the lake, making ice-cream with the gang and eyeing Tyler Lockwood.

The first person she'd met aside from Bonnie was Caroline and dear lord. To the surprise of everyone, Caroline Forbes and Hayley Marshall were quickly becoming partners-in-crime and best friends. Caroline had that joy for life that wasn't very much developed in the show that Hayley just admired. Bonnie was a close second to that, spending every other day at her Grams with Hayley and Elena Gilbert .. well, that one Hayley was still trying to give it time. Let's just say that Elena was not exactly Hayley's cup of tea. The doppelgänger wasn't very welcoming of Hayley at first and Hayley also didn't want to know the Gilbert much. Hayley was quite baffled since Jeremy was the sweetest boy she'd ever met but his older sister's character was .. debatable.

The very next day Hayley moved to Mystic Falls, she met sweet, sweet Matt Donovan, a blonde human boy with boy-next-door good looks that was also quickly becoming Hayley's close friend. Matt's best friend, Tyler, however, was another subject. Taller than her, built, dark and handsome, he was exactly Hayley's type. Add to the fact that she understood his sporadic anger fits since she was also a werewolf, and they were sure to get along well.

All in all, life in Mystic Falls had done some good to Hayley's mental health. She was now more serious than ever in practicing her witchcraft and also took Krav Maga classes every other day to help with her wolf flexibility. She followed Marmee's advice and kept a pretty healthy balance between training hard and living life just as hard. Her soul was light and she hoped Marmee's soul was happy.

"Tyler's looking at you," Caroline's said in a sing-song voice from beside her, breaking Hayley out of her thoughts. "Again."

"I mean, look at her," Bonnie came from the other side, Elena behind her, before she intertwined her arm with Hayley's. "If I was Tyler, I would never take my eyes off too."

The four girls were only going on their fifteen years but they were simply breathtaking. Hayley felt like every person she knew well was very pretty to look at.

Hayley rolled her eyes but a small smirk played at her lips. "Girls, this ice-cream isn't going to make itself."

"Technically, it will," Elena said, completing their little circle with a playful smile.

Elena was right. Caroline's mom had bought this ice-cream making machine and the instructions were simple enough. They only needed to put the ingredients in and they would have ice-cream. Quite marvelous.

"No, but seriously, Hayls," Caroline was not one to give up so easily. "Why don't you try with Tyler?"

"I've been here for two months, Caroline," Hayley replied while mixing ingredients. "Don't you feel like it's too soon?"

"It's never too soon for love," Elena advised, taking a bowl of chocolate from the table and eating a few pieces.

"You would say that," Hayley snorted. "You're disgustingly in love with Matt and he with you." The lovebirds had just started dating but it was clear to everyone it was meant to last.

If Hayley wasn't aware of the future, she would've wholeheartedly believed Matt and Elena were the real deal too.

"Hey, I agree with Elena and I'm single," Bonnie leaned forward, her head resting on Hayley's shoulder. "You and Tyler would make a cute couple."

"Why are you even single?" Hayley questioned, evading the subject. "You're gorgeous, Bon'."

Bonnie shrugged. "Too hot to handle," she replied.

"That's my girl," Hayley sent her a wink before Caroline lightly hit her arm.

"No changing the subject," the blonde scolded. "Why aren't you giving him a chance?"

Hayley took a deep breath, her eyes stuck on the movement of the ice-cream maker. It wasn't that she didn't feel anything for Tyler, or that she did not want a relationship. She just didn't know if she could insert herself in their lives in such a way.

Finally, she shrugged. "If he asks me out, we'll see then."

Hayley was certain this was puppy love for Tyler anyway. It wouldn't hurt her because it wouldn't last long. So there was no need to fight it.

".."

"Hey, Hayls," an attractive male voice sounded from behind Hayley.

She'd been in the lake, swimming for not even a dozen minutes when Tyler joined her.

"Hi, Ty'," Hayley turned to face him, their faces level since they were inside the water.

"So," Tyler swam a little closer. "I heard from a little bird that you wouldn't turn me down if I asked you out on a date."

Hayley chuckled, her eyes briefly flicking to Caroline's side, the blonde doing a crappy job at eavesdropping.

"Oh, really?" Hayley eyed the boy. "What if I say no?"

Tyler drew even closer. "Are you?" He asked. He was so close that Hayley felt his breath on her cheek.

"Ask me," she looked into his eyes, green clashing with brown as she also drew close.

Despite the confidence Hayley was showing, she was utterly terrified. She was most afraid of being hurt and she knew they wouldn't last long. This was why she was taking a chance on Tyler Lockwood. With him, it would be a fleeting, puppy love. Something to remember with a fond smile but also something that would end before their high school experience. And not because she knew he was going to date someone else in the future, but because she knew she couldn't give him her complete love.

"Hayley Marshall," Tyler began. "Would you do me the honor of going on a date with me?"

But until then, Hayley promised herself something. She was going to live in the now. The present was her foundation for the future, and she would not regret anything.

Hayley smiled at Tyler. "It would be my pleasure."