Much To Learn (2)

".."
You taught me the courage of stars, before you left.

"You taught me the courage of stars, before you left

".."

Clad in funeral black from head to toe, fifteen year-old Hayley Marshall stood before a grave, staring unblinkingly at the engraved words.

Here lies Naya "Marmee" Phillips,
A good person, a great mother and an even better soul.
You will be loved, you will be remembered, always and forever.
Rest In Peace.

Her heart broken and her thoughts somber, Hayley thought back on the past two weeks prior to Marmee's death.

".."
Two weeks earlier,

"Marmee, you are not dying!" Hayley was pacing to and fro in her room, a grimoire firmly in her hands. "It's way too soon. You're not dying. Not on my watch."

"It's the way of the world," Sitting on the young girl's bed, Marmee looked like she had already made peace with the horrifying news.

"No, it's not," Hayley denied. "I can fix this. I know I can!"

The spell she was looking for was a very dark one, and it would take a lot from her. But Hayley didn't care. As long as Marmee was alive, nothing else really mattered.

She came to this world, alone, scared, trying to put up a good front. Marmee was the only one who gave her a hand. The older witch saved her life in more ways than one and became the mother she'd lost, the mother she didn't know she craved. She became her family.

"There it is!" Hayley exclaimed when she found the particular page. "Look, Marmee. I can do this, I can save you."

Taking the hands of the rushing witch, Marmee made Hayley sit down next to her. "I'm not afraid of death, little one," she told Hayley. "The spirits agree with me on keeping the balance of nature."

"Fuck the spirits," Tears were now streaming down Hayley's face, her hold tightening on Marmee's hands. "I don't want to lose you."

"You're not losing me," Marmee placed her left hand on Hayley's heart. "I will always be with you. In here," she then moved her hand to her head. "And in here."

"It's not the same thing," Hayley cried, emotions bottling inside of her, making the entire house shake and tremble. Hayley was tired. She was tired of losing the people she loved most.

"Calm down, calm down," Marmee took her in her arms, stroking her back in a soothing way. "It is what it is, little one. It's my time to go."

Hayley remained silent in Marmee's hands. She'd calmed down but her mind was still unfocused. No matter what happened, she would save Marmee. She would save her, even if she died trying.