Reborn (1)

".."
• Have you ever walked this earth before? •

"• Have you ever walked this earth before? •

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

".."

Eternity.

It felt like an eternity had passed since Hayley first opened her eyes. Her gaze was glued to the off-white ceiling, her mind refusing to compute her current situation.

She was supposed to be dead. At least Hayley Smith was supposed to be.

The same Hayley who lay upon a very comfortable bed, with memories she refused to acknowledge deeply woven inside her brain.

"... Haa ..." The nth sigh escaped her lips, a frown pulling at her eyebrow.

It was high time she stopped being a coward and assessed the situation.

Her name was Hayley Smith. She was born in New Orleans to two extremely religious parents who molded her to be the perfect church girl. Except, it didn't work out quite as they expected.

Hayley Smith was a wild soul. When she was in school, she didn't spend much time studying. She partied hard, played harder and lived her life to the fullest. To say her straight-laced folks were bewildered by the wild child they had conceived was an understatement. Most of the time, they were pained by her ways.

It wasn't until her very last year of college that she "found solace" as her mom used to say in hushed whispers whenever she walked by her. Hayley straightened her act, got her degree in law and got her very first job the winter her parents died. Mama Smith was a kind soul that was taken way too soon by cancer. It killed her body slowly but, not being able to be there for her daughter and husband broke her soul. Papa Smith died shortly after his wife, quietly gone in his sleep, as if his heart was too tired to keep living.

Hayley remembered them with continuous sadness and unbreakable fondness. They taught her how to live, to be brave, they taught her how to love herself and her wild ways. They even taught her how to love unconditionally.

Unfortunately, two years after her parents died, Hayley got the damning news from the family doctor — she was affected by the same vicious cancer as her mother and she was dying, fast.

The illness broke something deep inside Hayley. Her body shut down on her, she felt bound by the chains of death and at the end of her life, she couldn't even close her eyes on her own.

She was only thirty.

Which was why her current situation was unbelievable. She couldn't dare to believe what was happening. She'd only read of this phenomenon and never really believed in anything of the kind.