Waking Up at Midnight

A/N Once again, a bit of a shorter chapter but I enjoyed writing it so I hope you enjoy reading it! 

****

 Don't dissapoint. 

I wish I could fall asleep, but I couldn't stop replaying today's events in my head. I turned over in bed, my eyes struggling to adjust to the dark room. I could hear Mackenzie snoring loudly, her arm was dipped over the bed and her mouth propped wide open. I stared up at my ceiling, trying to sort out my thoughts. Stella was mumbling in her sleep, talking about something I couldn't quite decipher but could assume was food related. After our meeting with the X team, Dean and the others had to leave The Academy as quickly as they came. We didn't really have time for a proper goodbye, but I knew I'd be seeing him again soon. I pulled my sheets up closer to my chin, shivering in my thin t-shirt and shorts. Seeing Dean today had got me thinking. He seemed so at ease among the rest of his teammates, I wondered if things would be like that for me. Was I really cut out for the X Team? I rolled over, shoving my pillow on top of my head. My rank proved I was a force to be reckoned with, but was I ready to take my skills to the next level?

Damn it, Alexis, what the hell is wrong with you? I've been preparing my entire life for an opportunity like this, and now when one presents itself I'm riddled with doubts. I keep seeing images flash through my mind, images of me letting down Seth and Veronica. Maybe that's what I'm afraid of: failing. If I can't complete this mission, everything I've been working for would've been for nothing. 

Don't dissapoint. "SHUT UP!" I muttered, forcing my pillow over my face to muffle my screams. I slowly released my pillow from my face, and held it over my stomach. I wish I could just fall asleep. I tilted my head sideways, looking at the table to my side. The clock read 4:13, only three more hours until breakfast. I guess I was pulling an all-nighter. My cell phone vibrated on the table. I quickly grabbed it, eager for the distraction. 

Seth: Are you awake?

I bit my lip, thinking about how to respond. I looked back at the clock,  it was still 4:13. Time didn't seem to be moving so I might as well entertain myself. 

Me: Can't fall asleep

I typed back, hoping that it didn't sound desperate. 

Seth:  Yeah, me neither 

I started to type back a response when another message popped up on my screen.

Seth: I'm outside your door

Me: Seriously?

Seth: Seriously.

I sat up and kicked my sheets off of me. Stella and Mackenzie were deep sleepers, they would never even notice I'm gone. I slowy slid out of bed, careful not to trip over anything as I made my way over to the door. The risks of getting caught after hours was suspension, but tonight I was willing to risk that. I pulled open my door carefully, trying to keep it from making any noise. Seth was waiting for me in the hall. His hair was ruffled messily and he had bags underneath his eyes. I realized this was one of the few times I had seen Seth without his school uniform on. Although he was just in flannel pants and a grey t-shirt, it was still a nice change. He put his finger to his lips to signal me to keep quiet. I nodded and walked towards him. He held out his hand for mine, and I took it without hesitation. My bare feet imprinted themselves into the carpeted floors as we creeped towards the stairwell. I tried to keep my breaths low and shallow, but the adrenaline from sneaking out was making that hard to do. Seth carefully held open the door leading to the stairwell, where a cool blast of air licked my skin. I shivered, rubbing my hands along the goosebumps that had risen on my arms. He held onto my hand tightly as we climbed up two flights of stairs. The cement floor chilled my bare feet but I didn't let that stop me. Walking up the remaining steps, we reached a heavy door labeled: ROOF ACCESS. Seth shot me his signature smirk before kicking open the door. I took a tenative step behind him, my breath catching in my throat when my eyes landed on the array of stars casted overhead. Seth yanked me out onto the roof top causing the the door to close behind me. 

"I can't believe we're doing this." I laughed, my voice at a whisper. Seth pulled me close against him and caressed my cheek softly. "How'd you find this place?"

"I like to come out here sometimes." He shrugged, his eyes locked on mine. "When I'm up here, nothing can reach me. All my worries just...go away." I found my gaze shifting towards his lips as he talked. "I want to show you something." He said, catching me off guard as he dragged me behind him. I giggled girlishly as he jumped up onto the railing. 

"You're crazy!" I laughed, as he stuck out his arms and leaned back his head. "Someone's going to see you!" I warned. 

"Who's going to see us? Everyone's sleeping, remember?" He laughed, reaching out his hand for mine. "Come on." He begged, pulling me up onto the railing besides him. He wrapped his arm around my waist to steady me. I gripped the railing tightly with my fingers, my toes curling around the metal bar for security. Perched atop the railing, we were given breathtaking view of our surrondings. 

"Wow." I murmered, my eyes transfixed on the stars. "It's beautiful."

"Just like you." He smiled, his warm breath blowing onto my neck as he leaned closer towards me. "We don't have to hide up here." He intertwined his hand in mine. 

"I bet you show this to all the girls you hook up with." I teased. 

"Actually, you're the first person I've ever brought up here." With that, he stepped down from the railing. He grabbed me by the waist and helped me back onto the ground. "I've been up all night thinking about you." He admitted. "There's something about you Alexis...something I can't quite put my finger on. But that's what I love about you. You're unpredictable, mysterious, and unlike any other girl I've ever met. I've never met anyone else who can drive me so crazy, but at the same time keep pulling me back towards them. I know this relationship, or whatever the hell you want to call it, hasn't been perfect." 

"You can say that." I laughed.

"But it's the best thing that's happened to me in a long time." He licked his lips, pulling me closer. "And I've been up all night trying to think of ways I can show you how much you mean to me. But even this," He gestured to the rooftop. "isn't enough."

"Seth-" I tried to interrupt.

"Ever since I was selected by the Academy, I've always had my eyes on you." He continued. "The moment I saw you I thought to myself, that's who I want. I always knew you'd be going places after we graduated, and after today I finally realized that we could go on that journey together."

"I've been waiting so long to hear you to say that." I admitted. "Now kiss me already." I begged, pressing onto my toes so that I could reach his lips. I ran my fingers through his hair as he lifted me up off the ground. I wrapped my legs aroud his torso, his lips trailing up my neck as I rubbed my hands along his chest. The wind brushed through my hair and sent chills up my spine. Seth set me back onto the ground and pulled away so that he could take a breath of air. 

"I wish every night could be like this." He told me.

"It can be."  I breathed, as he bent over to brush his lips against mine.

"I better get you back to your room." He sighed. "The guards will be waking up soon."

"Promise me that when that sun rises," I turned my head towards the horizon. "you won't act like tonight never happened. Promise me, that even though you have to stay with Veronica you won't forget about me." 

"I promise." He whispered into my ear. "Cross my heart." He chuckled, crossing his fingers over his chest.

"And hope to spy." I finished, leaning in for one last kiss. 

***

A/N Yes I know it's short, but I wanted to keep it sweet and simple! Don't forget to comment/vote to let me know what you think!