Introducing Alexis

A/N I previously wrote a different beginning to this story but I decided that I didn't like how I started it so here's the new first chapter of Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy.  To the side is a picture of Alexis >>>> 

ENJOY :)

“Sisters, as you know, also have a unique relationship. This is the person who has known you your entire life, who should love you and stand by you no matter what, and yet it’s your sister who knows exactly where to drive the knife to hurt you the most.” -Lisa See

*****

 Do you ever look at a person and know exactly how you'd kill them?

Perhaps you daydream about slipping posion into the coffee mug of your Geometry teacher, or running down your ex-boyfriend with your jeep. 

You'd never actually go through with it, of course, but there's always that one person who no matter what they do drive you insane. 

For me, that person is my sister.

I stood at the sidelines of the basketball game, my eyes darting back and forth between the players and the scoreboard as the last few seconds ticked away. I tugged on the tight-fitting cheerleading uniform I was wearing, trying not to think about how my bare ass was practically exposed to the stands of rowdy students behind me. The girl standing next to me had this freaky smile plastered to her face the entire game. I kept anticipating her to spontaneously combust from her perkiness. I clapped my hands together, reciting the cheers that I had learned a few hours ago when the coach on the opposing team called a time out. The perky cheerleader was now starting to eye me. Her eyes crinkled as she tried to figure out who I was. I brushed my dark brown hair over my shoulders, trying to avoid her gaze. "Are you even on this team?" She finally gathered up enough courage to ask. I bit my lip, staring straight forward and avoiding eye-contact. 

"Target is on the move." The earpiece hidden under my hair whispered into my ear. "Don't break your cover or else the whole operation will be put at risk." 

"What's your name?" She continued to ask questions, maintaining her smile as the game played on. Thirty seconds on the clock. The stands behind me were going wild. Students in full-body paint held up homemade posters, reciting school chants as the game came to a close. 

"We've lost visual on the target." My earpiece buzzed. "I repeat, visual has been lost. Requiring immediate assitance on the floor." Fifteen seconds on the clock. My eyes scanned the floor. My target, Junior Varsity Basketball player Jonathan Perez was no longer on the court. "Target spotted-" My earpiece fizzled out. A piercing noise echoed through my ears, I yelped and ripped out my earpiece.

As I tossed it onto the floor besides me the perky cheerleader asked in awe, "Who are you?"

The buzzer sounded and the fans stormed the court. From the opposite end of the gym my eyes landed on Jonathan. He was leaving through the East exit of the gym. With my communications down, I was going to have to do this alone. "I'm your worst nightmare." I flashed a smile at her. 

"Lift me up!" I demanded to the group of cheerleaders in line besides me. Without hesitation, two girls came besides me. I jumped up onto their hands, using their shoulders for support. 

"She doesn't even go here!" The perky one shouted helplessly as they lifted me up into the air. 

"Hey boys!" I cupped my hands to my mouth. A group of rowdy guys turned around. "Catch me." With that, my fellow cheerleaders tossed me into the air. The boys caught me like expected and I was able to surf my way across the gym. A blow horn repeatedly sounded through the gym as grubby hands glided me towards the exit.