Dress Warfare

*******

"I think I broke a rib. Maybe two." Stella groaned as we walked to breakfast. "Make it three." She added, clasping her side which had been bandaged with tape. "Figaro deserves a special place in hell for orchestrating a Code Red simulation the day before the Winter Formal." She muttered, groaning uneasily as she took a seat at our usual table.

"Who were those guys that they hired for the simulation? Because I'd like to be the first to give them a nice warm: fuck you." Mackenzie chimed in. 

"Morning ladies." Rooney brushed past us, taking a seat at the table adjacent to ours. "Alexis you are looking especially beautiful this fine morning." I stuck out my middle finger on my non-broken hand. The broken one was wrapped tightly in bandages which were applied after I had to wait two hours in the line at the infirmary last night. Even though I was surrounded by my close friends I have never felt more alone. Their safety, the future of The Academy, and my sister's life depended on me. And I haven't even eaten breakfast yet. 

"Was anyone else seriously considering not getting out of bed this morning?" Seth asked as he slid into a seat besides Rooney. We all raised our hands simultaneously. Seth's eyes locked onto mine as if to ask: what happened to you last night? 

"I don't want to hear any of you complaining," Rooney started, "because none of you were pepper sprayed in the face last night."

"How many times do I have to say I'm sorry?" Mackenzie apologized, holding back her laughter. 

"But have you seen guys Clyde?" Stella lowered her voice, leaning into the center of the table so that we all had to move in closer to hear her. 

Someone cleared their throat loudly from besides the table. We all turned to see Clyde....and his tightly bandaged nose. Seth gagged on his orange juice trying to contain his laughter. Clyde rolled his eyes and slammed his lunch tray down onto the table. "Go ahead," He sighed "let it all out of your system." With that, we all broke into hysterics. 

"I think I'm crying," Mackenzie gasped from laughing so hard. "am I crying?"

"What happened to your face?" I asked.

"I face planted onto the auditorium stage." Clyde replied bashfully. 

"It's too bad you missed it." Seth told me, once again hinting at my disappearance last night. 

"Yeah," Rooney echoed him. "where were you last night anyways?" I held up my broken hand, hoping that would suffice for an answer. 

"Which one do you guys like better?" Stella held up her phone which was displaying pictures of two different dresses. I was thankful for her change of topic, saving me from having to tell my friends even more lies. But I knew I wasn't off the hook with Seth. I could still feel him staring at me while we all gravitated towards Stella. 

"I thought you went to the Closet to pick something." I replied.

"I was going to, but you never showed up." 

I face-palmed myself. "I'm so sorry, Stella. I totally forgot about that, I've just had a lot on my plate lately. How about we go today? Right after breakfast." 

"All the good ones have been picked over by now." She shook her head.

"The Stella I know can turn any garbage bag into a ball gown. I'm sure we can find you something." I replied.

"If you're helping Stella find a dress, could you help find me a date?" Clyde wondered.

"You still haven't found someone to ask?" Seth turned to him.