Chapter Twenty-One: I'm Going to be Sick

It was midday and Isabelle was staring out the window, waiting for her computer screen to load. There was a pang of emptiness in her stomach as she thought back on the conversation she and Wendell had had not even two nights ago.

"I think we need to be friends." They had both said at the same time, right as they sat across from each other on Mel and Isabelles couches. They both looked up in kind alarm at the synchronization of their thoughts but neither dared say a word. Isabelle didn't know how to feel really, but there was a sense of peace inside her that made her feel better that Wendell was on the same page.
Wendell motioned for her to speak first, the continued to rub his hands on his pants like he always did when he was nervous.
Isabelle swallowed back the lump of anxiety that was threatening to either silence her or ensure chaotic verbal diarrhea.
Neither would be ideal.

"You are an amazing guy, Wendell." Smooth. Real smooth Iz. "I just.... I can't." Wendell nodded, his face pale.
"No one should have gone through what you did, Izzie. I'm... I'm sorry-"
"Sweetie no!" Isabelle was on her feet, horrified at Wendells facial expression and the words that he was about to say was written on his face. "This is not your fault. You couldn't have done anything." That didn't stop him for looking guilty.
"I have had a lot of time to think about this. There is only one person to blame and it's neither of us. It's some asshole in a doctors coat who couldn't keep it in his pants because he didn't like that I wasn't going to take shit from him."
Isabelle sat down beside Wendell and tentatively grabbed a hold of one of his hands. He was as nervous and clammy as she was. She'd also had a lot of time to think things over and over in her head, playing what she remembered and from what the police, her friends and security footage had shown her. Munroe was solely at fault here. That and there were some nurses Isabelle had worked with who came in with claims of other harassment to support Isabelle. As hard as she had found it to believe, Isabelle knew with certainty that there was nothing either of them had done wrong. She gave Wendell a tight smile and squeezed his hand.
"I don't think I can manage having you in my life at your current capacity. But I do want you in my life, Wendell." Wendell blinked back a few tears before lifting Isabelles hand that was holding his and kissed it.
"I am more than happy to be your friend, Isabelle. Forever and always." Isabelle wrapped her arms around Wendells neck and gave him a tight hug.
"This has got to be the best breakup outcome ever." His voice was muddled by Isabelles hair but she laughed.
"There's no better way to have it."

She smiled as she replayed the conversation over in her head. Wendell was a good guy, no doubt about it. There was someone out there for him.
A notification popped up in Isabelles laptop and she grinned at who it was from, quickly pressing accept. The screen widened and Sweets filled up the screen, leaning right into his computer screen. Isabelle gave a barking laugh at the stupidity and hilarity of her friend.
"And how is my favorite patient doing today?" Sweets moved away from the computer so that Isabelle could see he was in his office at the FBI. She rolled her eyes.
"I'm not your patient, Lance Sweets. I thought you arranged this because you miss me." Sweets pulled his tongue out at her, grinning.
"I do miss you. It's been what, three weeks and you haven't come to see me? The horror!"
"I've been recovering from a very traumatic experience AND  a break up. Plus you call me every day." Isabelle pointed out. Sweets made another face at her.
"Yeah let me just say, you seem to be recovering very well."
"Well enough that I might be keen to go out for food and drinks tonight." She raised her eyebrows. Sweets eyebrows just about disappeared into his curly hair. "You also need a haircut, your eyebrows have gone missing." Sweets was practically out of his chair in excitement.
'You know what today is? Friday. Which means no work tomorrow. Which means movie night with junk food and the gang! And nobody has to stay sober!"
"Except the people who have kids."
"That's what babysitters are for." Isabelle narrowed her eyes.
"Aren't you usually the babysitter?"
"Not tonight! Oh man, I'll get it organized and I'll call you back in an hour. Oh perfect! Booth and Dr Brennan are here. I'll tell them now. I can't wait to see you! Love you, bye!" Isabelle was left chuckling as Sweets rambled as and ended the call. And then it struck her.
"Wait what?" She stared at her laptop. Love you, bye? Goodness." She shook her head.
Just as she was about to close her laptop, an incoming call froze the screen and Isabelle froze along with it, staring at the name and profile picture that came up. She answered it before the other person lost their nerve.