Chapter Fourteen: Baaaaaabies

Isabelle woke up to her phone blasting from the floor. She groaned and pushed her head into the pillow.

"Are you going to answer it?" A muffled voice came from beside her and she made a noise that almost sounded like a no. An arm wrapped around her waist and she made another noise that wasn't so nice.

The phone continued to ring and then it stopped. Isabelle physically relaxed and rolled into the body beside her, allowing the arm to pull her close as she lifted her head from her pillow.

"Morning." Wendell grinned sleepily as he looked at Isabelle's dishevelled head. She had pillow face as well and she knew it but at that point in time, she didn't care.

"Morning." She rested her head on Wendell's chest and sighed, her eyes still heavy.

Evidently, last night had gone very well. Isabelle was in bed with a very, very sweet man (which doesn't usually happen until date twelve at least) and he hadn't questioned her on her morning appearance.

"Are you sure you don't want to make sure it isn't Sweets calling?"
"Today is the day he needs to trial being alone. So it's my day off." She said sleepily. "Plus it's... Only six thirty. He doesn't get up till seven thirty at least." She curled into Wendell's warmth and allowed herself to begin to drift back off to sleep. She could feel Wendell's breathing slowing as he too went back to sleep.

After dinner last night, they had both gone back to the hospital with food for Clarke. It had been two hours before the doctors (not Munroe, thank goodness) had discharged Sweets. From there, Isabelle had driven him home with Clarke and Wendell in the back seat and settled him into bed, pumped with his sleeping tablets and painkillers.

Clarke had immediately offered to get a taxi home (with some hint of disgust in his voice) when Isabelle had come back into the room. Wendell had frowned and tried to argue but Clarke was already calling a taxi. He had winked at her and so, and made a small head motion to the outside and then made a crude gesture with his hand that made her want to slap him and laugh all at the same time. But she got his message loud and clear. There was definitely something between Isabelle and Wendell. Something new and... Safe. She felt safe.

She invited Wendell to her place, the temptation of apple pie ("Frozen but I'll heat it up. unless Mel had eaten it. Then we might just have to eat apples." "I don't see why not." He had answered, a shy smile matching her own). They had walked into the hospital hand in hand, something Isabelle had been quite proud of. Wendell was discreetly forward and she appreciated that because he made her increasingly nervous but in a good way. Before they had gotten in the car to bring Sweets home, he had kissesd her on the cheek, causing her face to flare up and cause Wendell to laugh.

He had followed her home in the Jeffersonian car and followed her inside. Mel had indeed, eaten the apple pie (greedy pig as Isabelle had so teased) but had saved some chocolate mousse from the take aways she'd ordered.

And it all fell into place from there. Isabelles heart and mind were extremely full of happiness and Wendell when her phone suddenly rang again, causing her to jump and Wendell to groan.

"I guess you need to take it." More of a statement than a suggestion. Isabelle pushed herself up, taking some of the sheet with her to.kep her covered as she groped the floor for her pants that had her phone in them. She found them and pulled her phone out and stared at the caller ID.
Hannah's name shine back at her and she pressed accept.

"This better be worth waking me up, Hannah. If Sweets is dying, tell him he's already done that." Behind her, Wendell snorted and started tracing lazy circles on her bare back.

"What a way to great your employer." Booths voice came through the phone, his tone joking but serious. Isabelle rolled her eyes.

"What's up, Booth?"
"Hannah just demanded I call you to tell you that she's in labour but, and I quote, "not so far as she's ready to push the babies out of her.." I'm not saying that."
"Oh dear... But oh wow, really?" That woke Isabelle up a little. Wendell lay patiently for her to tell him what was happening, still tracing circles on her back. Isabelle had a small tattoo at the nape of her neck in the shape of a stethoscope twirling into a sinus rhythm. That made him smile.