Chapter Seventeen: Mabel's Birthday

Two days later, Isabelle stared at the emails her sister was sending to her. As much as she and Arielle didn't get along, her sister had called with concerns and now Isabelle was mildly concerned and mainly confused.

"This is insane. She sent you all of these?" Wendell was scrolling through Isabelle's computer, his lab coat hanging over the back of the kitchen chair.

"So my parents are both having an affair." Isabelle rubbed her jaw and sighed. "I did not see this coming. At all."

"To be fair you are living in a completely different country. And Arielle is probably the nosiest person I have ever heard of." Isabelle snorted. "What can you even do?"

"I have no idea. And look at this, she's been talking to freaking Munroe. What an ass."

"He's that doctor ex that got you fired, right?" Isabelle nodded. Wendell made a noise. Isabelle smiled to herself as she looked at the email she had printed. It wasn't at all surprising that Munroe still talked to Arielle. He'd cheated on Isabelle with Arielle when her sister had been over to visit her and that bad been the straw to break the camels back on both the relationship between Isabelle and Arielle and Isabelle and Munroe.

"What an asshole." Wendell smiled this time and nudged Isabelle's knee with his own. "I'm not wrong. Anyway, I don't know what to do, man. I'm glad Ari told me about her suspicions but it's really up to her on what to do, isn't it?" Wendell shrugged.

"To be fair, I'm more concerned about Munroe's emails to your sister. He mentions you quite a few times." Isabelle shrugged.

"He's Munroe. Probably trying to wind her up. But I think I'm just gonna take a hands off approach to all of this."

"I still don't like it, Iz. Arielle must've been concerned to send the emails to you with the ones about your parents." Isabelle looked over his shoulder at the email he was looking at.

"Arielle has never shown concern for anyone but herself." Isabelle sighed. "All he's mentioned is that he wants me back and that I'm a disappointment.... He's not wrong, I do like to be a disappointment."

"You're not a disappointment." Wendell scowled. Isabelle grinned and kissed him on the cheek.

"I know." She rested her cheek on his shoulder. "Hey what are you doing next week?"

"Whatever it is you're wanting to do, I guess." Isabelle grinned. She closed her laptop that he was reading on and sighed.

"Good. Mel and Mabel both texted me to let me know that Mabel is having her big birthday party and I can bring a plus one."

"Oh that sounds like fun."

"Should be. Her grandkids will be there too and my gosh they are the cutest things you would have ever seen." Wendell sighed and put an arm around her. "But it'll be nice for you to come too."

"Of course I want to come. And we'll ignore this and you can tell Arielle that she can sort your parents out."

"That sounds like bliss." Wendell chuckled and stood up from his chair.

"Hey question."

"Shoot." He reached the fridge and opened it. He turned to her.

"Where's my Chinese from the other night?"

*************

Mel walked out of the nursing break room and pocketed her phone into her nursing scrubs. The emergency department was unusually quiet for a Friday afternoon but Mel was grateful for it. It gave her an opportunity to actually catch up on her piles of paperwork that her piling up beside her computer. It wasn't that she was putting it off but it was just that she really hated doing paper work. That was why having Isabelle around had been so helpful because that girl was a whizz when it came to getting work done. Especially paperwork.