Chapter Four: Open up Your Eyes

Isabelle watched intensely as Sweets attempted to open his eyes, the lids fluttering as he tried to open them. She could see the fatigue on his face already from the effort. Walkin was leaning over him, talking to Sweets. Isabelle knew he was doing his job but the struggle was real.

"Doctor Walkin, may I advise-"
"No, Miss Montgomery. Dr Sweets.. There you go. Can you squeeze my hand for me?" Sweets squeezed Isabelle's hand and Walkin chuckled. "Your other hand doctor... Excellent, excellent. Now can you wriggle your toes?" Sweets did as he was asked and sighed, moving his mouth in order to talk but no words came out.

"Lemme get you some water." Isabelle let go of his hand and grabbed a cup of water beside the bed and bent the straw down. "I'm going to need some help in sitting him up please." Isabelle positioned herself over his head, grabbing the bottom sliding sheet in order to pull him up. One of the other doctors came around Walkin and prepared to help, the two of them waiting for Walkins okay to pull.

Isabelle looked down at Sweets, who was looking up at her with glazed eyes. She smiled down at him.

"I'll getcha something to drink real soon, doc. Don't worry." She patted his arm and she saw him smile a little bit. Walkin nodded his consent for Sweets to be sat up and on Isabelle's count, they pulled him up the bed and she pressed the button that lifted the head of the bed. Once at a good height, Isabelle grabbed the cup of water and helped Sweets have a drink.

"There you go."
"T-Thank... You..." He rasped, his mouth still quite dry. With a little more encouraging, Isabelle got him to drink some more.

"Doctor Sweets, my name is Isabelle. I'm one of the nurses who has been taking care of you since you were admitted here. There are a lot of people who will be very happy to hear that you're awake." She smiled and Sweets gave a weak smile.

"Hannah? Booth?"
"Everyone."
"Oh goody." Hannah chuckled and have him a light squeeze.

"Miss Montgomery, you may return home now. I'll make sure the notes written up for you  with a detailed plan on the good doctors cares."
"You don't want me to write-"
"No thank you." Walkin turned to Sweets who, with half closed eyes, snorted.

"I'll be back in a few days, doc. Don't do anything I would not do." She gave his hand one last pat before leaving the room, removing her gloves as she went and threw them in the bin. Washing her hands, she scowled through the window at the back of Walkins head.

Before leaving the ward, Isabelle took one last visit to the room set aside for Booth and co. Tensions seemed to be running high in there when she popped her head in. Hannah's face was scrunched into a pained expression and Isabelle half expected her to say she was having contractions.

"No, I just stubbed my toe. It's fine. I've had worse." Booth snorted, his wife elbowing him in the ribs as payment for his response.

"Well I have good news for you guys. Sweets is awake." Voices started talking all at once, everyone suddenly excited and eyes wide as they talked at her. Isabelle put her hands in the air. "Technically I never told you that, okay? The doctors will give you and and all information they can but you need to act just as excited when they tell you." Brennan frowned.

"Why would you tell us then?"
"Because you deserve to know that he is awake. The doctors are going to be awhile as they run tests and assessments." Brennan contemplated that for a moment before her husband spoke.

"Thanks, Isabelle. We really appreciate that." A resounding chorus of thanks followed that and Isabelle shrugged.

"It's really no problem. Anyway I'm off but I'll be back in a few days. Take care of yourselves." Turning in her heel, Isabelle made for the door, desperate to get home. As she got to the elevator, someone cleared their throat and Isabelle turned around, eyebrows up expectantly.