Prologue

The doors of the ER burst open as several people flooded the floor, all following or pulling the gurney along in a mad rush to save a life.

"Please... Please help him." A woman cried, clinging to her husband as they both watched the gurney disappear through a set of doors. Behind them, three others closed in around the two and stared after the paramedics.

"He'll be fine. He's in a good place." The man soothed her, stroking her hair in a comforting way. She trembeled against him as he looked at another woman, hoping for some sort of confirmation that their friend was going to be okay. She shrugged, her own brain overloading with possibilities of injury, blood loss, timing... It was all too much. Turning away, she pulled out her phone and dialed a number, reaching out to the voice that comforted her most.

"Hannah, you need to take a breath."
"It's all my fault, Booth."
"No it's not."
"Yes it is. If I had only listened and stayed behind, this wouldn't have happened." The man, Booth, squeezed Hannah closer to him.

"You don't know that." She didn't reply.

From behind the nurses station, a nurse appeared, concern written over her face when she saw the people standing in the ER.

"Are you alright? Is that blood yours?" Hannah and Booth looked down to see the blook that stained their clothes. A man who stood behind them looked down at his white shirt and sighed, noting the blood that was on his shirt as well.

"Our friend, it's his. They took him in there. Do you know anything?" The nurse shook her head.

"I'm sorry but no. Are you family?" The woman who had been on the phone returned and answered the nurses question.

"Yes. We are is family." She took note of the four of them and gave a small smile. On her assessment of Hannah, she frowned. Turning, she managed to stop a health care assistant and gave some instructions. The man took one look at the group and nodded, pointed to a corner and left.

"Look, come take a seat and Fred will grab you all some water. I'll try and find out what I can for you on your friend. What was his name?"
"Sweets. Doctor Lance Sweets." She nodded and directed them towards a corner where they could take a seat. When they did so, the nurse stopped and couched before Hannah.

"I know this is going to be hard but I need you to take a deep breath for me, okay? You can't stress yourself out too much." Hannah took a breath, following the nurses instructions and nodded.

"What's your name?" She asked quietly. The nurse looked down at her uniform and then blushed in embarrassment as she realised she wasn't wearing her badge.

"I'm Isabelle. I'll see what I can do about some information-" She was cut off by the pager on her scrubs pants beeping. "Sorry, if you'll excuse me, I'm needed in Theater. I'll let you know what I can." The group thanked her and watched her sprint off, disappearing through the heavy set doors that blocked them from getting to their friend.

"He's going to be alright, right Bones? Bones?" Booth looked over at his friend and saw, for the first time in a long time, tears welling in her eyes.

"I don't know, Booth. I don't know." Hannah reached across to grab her hand and squeezed. Booth wrapped an arm around his wifes shoulders and kissed her forehead, his other hand resting lightly on her very pregnant belly.

"We just need to keep faith then."
"Always." Hannah whispered, before closing her eyes and counting.