Chapter Three: Beep

Hannah and Booth were the only ones at Sweets bedside when things started to change.

"Do you think he'll forgive me? For being in the field when I shouldn't have been?" Hannah asked Booth quietly. Her husband wrapped an arm around her and kissed her forehead.

"Sweets would never hate you, my love. He's probably forgiven you already." Hannah slipped a hand into Sweets one and squeezed.

"I hope you're right because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if he hated me. Or if he died." Booth closed his eyes and pulled Hannah closer to him listened to the beeping of Sweets heart monitor.

"Everythings going to be fine, Han. I know it will. I have faith in that fact that everything will be fine." She nodded and watches Sweets face and chest as the ventilator pushed air into his lungs.

"I hate that thing."
"What?"
"The ventilator." Booth watched it as well and grimaced.

"Doesn't bring back good memories, does it?" Hannah shook her head. She went to pull her hand away from Sweets so that she could rub her swollen belly but was shocked to find that she couldn't.

"Booth."
"Hmm?"
"Sweets is squeezing my hand." There was a pause and a slight shift as Booth leaned forward to look at Sweets hand. It was indeed, tightened around Hannahs. The look of shock ok both their faces was impressive.

"Call the nurse."
"Oh yeah. NURSE!"

****************

She slept for a solid ten hours after talking to her parents. Isabelle had been absolutely knackered and was grateful that when she woke up, the sun was still shining through the window, warming her legs as she stretched.

Sitting up, she blinked sleep from her eyes as she shuffled to the end of her bed so that she could grab a pair of shorts and a singlet from her draws. Dressing herself slowly, she shook some feeling into her legs and yawned before flopping back down on the bed.

Pushing her hair out of her face, Isabelle grabbed her phone and turned the screen on, dimming the light down so that it wasn't too bright. To her surprise, there was a number of missed calls from the hospital that she was not expecting.

But that's the point of missed calls, right? Totally unexpected and unwanted.

With a sigh, Isabelle listened to her voicemail, resting her head on her hand as she listened to it.

"Hey Isabelle, it's Micheal. Just letting you know that your patient, Lance Sweets, is in the process of waking up. The doctors are going to pull him out of the induced coma because he's waking up despite it being in place. Doc Walkin wants to talk to you about your plan etc. so just call back, okay? Thanks." Isabelle's eyes widened. Her phone beeped as it began to play the next message.

"Hi Isabelle, it's Walkin here. I know Michael called you but we really need to discuss with you your plan for this patients care. Please call us back as soon as you can."  That message was timed at three hours ago. It was now five thirty in the evening and the probability of Walkin and co being there were slim. Isabelle went to leave her voicemail but another message started playing.

"Hey Belle, it's Munroe-" Isabelle pressed the button that would immediately delete the message, her tolerance for idiots so late in the afternoon was at an all time low.