Chapter Nineteen: I Wish Murder were Legal

Isabelle was curled under the hospital blankets in ED, staring blankly at the curtain wall across from her. It was busy in the emergency department and she wouldn't be surprised if she was there until early morning. Not that she really cared at this point.

The IV beeped as she uncurled her arm so that the fluids would flow though and she unkinked the line and the machine stopped beeping. Isabelle let out a shaky breath as she waited for anything... Something to happen.

"Izzy? Iz?" Mel's voice broke through the fogginess in her brain. Isabelle turned her head slightly to look at Mel. She blinked once at her and Mel pulled the chair up so she could sit beside Isabelle and gently took her hand. Isabelle squeezed it and Mel sighed and released a shaky breath of her own.

"Did they find what they needed?" Mel nodded.

"They found doses of Ketamine in your system and the rape kit came back with trace evident of.... Of..." Mel closed her eyes and shook her head.

"Of sperm?" Isabelle's voice was dry and cracked as she spoke. Mel nodded and squeezed Isabelle's hand. "Did they find him?" Mel shook her head.

"The police are still arguing about what to do with Mabel. Wendell went straight to the Agent Booths. Plural." Isabelle's chin wobbled.

"He shouldn't have. It's not an FBI-"
"Iz, the cops aren't going to do anything because Munroe's a high profile doctor." She curled in on herself as Mel talked. She looked up as the curtain moved again and Mabel walked in with a female doctor Isabelle had never met before. Isabelle pushed herself up so she was sitting, her hair falling in her face as she did so. She pushed the strands behind her ear and wrapped her arms around her knees.

"Hey Isabelle, I'm Alicia, one of the newer doctors here. Mabel wanted me to meet with you and have a chat."
"I've already told everyone what happened." Alicia nodded.

"I know. I more just want to see how you're doing and if you want to have a shower?"
"I want to go home." Mabel gave her a sympathetic look.

"We just need to wait for your x-ray results on your spine but you can go home as soon as that happens, okay? Your boyfriend has gone home to get you some clothes and there are some FBI agents who want to see you." Isabelle nodded.

"They can come in. It's fine." Alicia nodded and placed her medical file on the bed.

"Just in case you want to have a look, okay?" Isabelle nodded and watched Mabel leave with Alicia. The familiar gleam of blonde hair appeared as Hannah Booth entered the bed space. Isabelle took one look at her and felt her self start to water up. Hannah closed the distance between them and pulled her into a hug. Mel looked between them and nodded before pulling her cardigan around her and left the space.

"Oh, Isabelle. I'm so sorry, honey." Hannah murmured as she squeezed Isabelle. "Booths got this under control." Isabelle curled in on Hannah and let out a shaky breath.

"Where are the twins?"

"We had to bring them along but Booth has them and they're fast asleep..."

"Can I see them please?" Hannah nodded, not even hesitating. She let go of Isabelle briefly and popped outside, reappearing shortly after with the pram, two bundles of adorableness staring up at their mother. Isabelle sat up properly and Hannah picked up Hank and gently handed him to Isabelle.
Isabelle looked down at Hank's little pink face and gave a small smile as he yawned up at her and stared at her sleepily. Isabelle rocked him gently and Hannah sat down beside her, rocking a fast asleep Heather.

"He looks like you." Isabelle murmured as she rocked Hank, his blue eyes closing as he went to sleep.
"He does, doesn't he. I hope he looks more like Booth when he gets older." Isabelle gave a weak smile and then checked to make sure her IV line was still unkinked before returning her attention to Hank.