Chapter 4

"That, my dear Balin, is not entirely true," Gandalf says suddenly. He pulls out a key from under his robes, and everyone stares at him in shock.

"How came you by this?" Thorin breathes, staring at the key.

"It was given to me by your father. By Thrain. For safekeeping. It is yours now." Gandalf hands the key to Thorin, and I forget to breathe. It feels like time has slowed down, and none of us can speed it up again.

"If there is a key, there must be a door!" Fili says. Kili and I look at him, then back to Thorin and Gandalf.

"These runes speak of a hidden passage to the Lower Hall," Gandalf says, pointing to the map.

"There's another way in," I say, grinning. This is fantastic!

"Well, if we can find it, but Dwarf doors are invisible when closed," the wizard sighs. "The answer lies somewhere hidden in this map, and I do not have the skill to find it. But there are others in Middle Earth who can. The task I have in mind will require a great deal of stealth, and no small amount of courage. But if we are careful and clever, I believe that it can be done."

"That's why we need a burglar," Ori says quietly.

"Hmm," Bilbo mumbles. "And a good one, too. An expert, I'd imagine." He pulls at his suspender straps with his thumbs as he looks over Thorin's shoulder, and he doesn't notice all the dwarves looking at him.

"And are you?" Gloin asks. The hobbit looks up in confusion.

"Am I what?"

Oin grins, his ear horn still up to his head.

"He said he's an expert! Hey!"

Bilbo looks shocked, and his hands drop to his sides.

"Me? No, no, no, no, no, I'm not a burglar. I've never stolen a thing in my life."

"Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Mr. Baggins," Balin says. "He's hardly burglar material."

"Nope," Bilbo says, nodding towards Balin. I groan quietly and resist the urge to smack my head on the table.

"You alright, Nossa?" Fili whispers.

"This meeting is going nowhere," I reply in the same whispered tone.

He nods and looks at Dwalin, who had opened his mouth to speak.

"Aye, the wild is no place for gentle folk who can neither fight nor fend for themselves," Dwalin says.

"He's just fine!" Kili calls.

Everyone begins chattering, and I can't distinguish one voice from the other.

"Enough!" Gandalf yells, standing. The room around him darkens, and I look up at him in fear. "If I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar, than a burglar he is!"

Gandalf remains standing, but the darkness leaves. All of us stare at him in shock, and he continues.

"Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they choose. And, while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of Dwarf, the scent of a Hobbit is all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage."

Bilbo opens his mouth to say something, but closes it again. Gandalf looks over at him for a second before continuing.

"You asked me to find the 15th member of this company and I have chosen Mr. Baggins," he says, sitting. "There is a lot more to him than appearances suggest, and he's got a great deal more to offer than any of you know Including himself."

Bilbo has doubt written all over his face, and nobody says anything for a moment.

"You must trust me on this," Gandalf finishes.