Epilogue

I stand proudly as I watch my son, Fasur, who has finally come of age, approach the throne for his crowning. 

He's a look-a-like of his father.  Blond, shoulder length hair and the same moustache, both done exactly like Fili's.  His eyes, however, are not blue like Fili's or mine, but the same chocolatey brown as Kili's.  He has the same build as Fili and the same proud stance as Thorin.

My heart squeezes painfully in my chest as I picture my deceased husband getting the crown he never had just by looking at my son.

He sits in the throne and all the dwarves standing behind me applaud loudly.  I step forward and the crowd becomes hushed. 

I place my hand on Fasur's shoulder.  He looks into my eyes and smiles that same warm smile that I know from my childhood. 

"Fasur, you are the son, nephew, and grand nephew of the three greatest dwarves that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and loving.  By wearing this crown, you are taking over the kingdom that they died fighting for.  You are a Durin's son and never forget it.  Be brave, be strong, and be loyal to a fault. I have had the pleasure of ruling this vast kingdom for the past 36 years, and by handing the throne to you, it means that I have faith in you to do whatever it takes to make Erebor thrive.  My son, make me proud.  Make your kin proud.  Make Fili, Kili, and Thorin Oakenshield proud," I say. 

Fasur nods and wraps me in a hug.

"I will, Mother." 

He kneels, and I take the crown off my head and place it onto his.

"Then rise, Fasur Stonehelm-Durin, and begin your duties as King Under the Mountain."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wind rustles the grass surrounding the mountain peacefully, like prairie waves.  Fasur, now older, watches the sky from the doorway of Erebor, his grey streaked hair only slightly disturbed by the cool wind.

"Dad, are you coming in?" asks a teenaged dwarf boy from inside.  

"The feast is starting in a short while!" calls a younger dwarf girl.

Fasur looks back to see the dark haired girl and the blond boy, both watching him expectantly.  Twin boys; one with dark hair and one with light hair, rush in, nearly running into the two other dwarvish children. 

"Watch it Fili!" cries the girl as she narrowly dodges one of the twins. 

"Be careful, son.  You too, Kili," says Fasur, as the second twin skids to a stop.

"Sorry Dad," the dark haired boy says.

"Are you coming to the feast?  Mom wanted us to check," Fili adds.

"I'll come in a moment. You four head down already," Fasur says. 

"Okay!  Come on Thorin!  Come on, Nossa!" Kili shouts.  The girl sighs and the boy, obviously older than the other three, nods and nudges his sister before following the rambunctious twins.

Fasur sighs and smiles, heading down some steps in the opposite direction as his four children.  After a bit of walking, he finally reaches the royal dwarfish burial site. 

There, he finds four tombstones, each with engraved names. 

Thorin Oakenshield, his great uncle. 

Kili, his uncle. 

Fili, his father. 

And finally, Nossa Stonehelm.  His mother. 

The King Under the Mountain traces her name and smiles. 

"One year today since you've been gone." 

Fasur pats the stone, thinking of his mother finally being with her family after so long. 

He closes his eyes sighs contentedly before heading up the stairs towards his wife, children, and awaiting feast.