Chapter 23

"Thorin, no!" I scream as I hold on to a branch, unable to stop him. I watch in horror as they charge at each other, and Thorin ends up on the ground.

I need to help. I need to.

Azog's mace connects with Thorin's jaw, and I scream.

"No!" Balin cries. His eyes are filled with tears.

Bilbo stands up, and I try to get up to stop him.

"Bilbo, don't! You're going to get yourself killed!" I cry.

He ignores me and prepares himself to go. The white Warg bites Thorin, and Dwalin screams out.

"Thorin, no!"

The Warg picks up Thorin, but the dwarf Prince brings up his sword and slashes its muzzle. The Warg throws him, and he lands with a thud on the ground.

Azog orders another Orc to do something in Black Speech, and I can't watch any longer. The Orc is going to behead Thorin.

At that moment, Bilbo sprints from the tree and tackles the Orc that's about to take Thorin's head off his shoulders.

Bilbo kills the Orc and stands in a face off against the white Warg.

"He's not going to make it," I mumble. "Fili, Kili! Go help Bilbo! I'll protect Thorin!" I yell. They nod, and the other dwarves join us in killing the wargs and orcs that are about to kill Bilbo.

"I'm here to help," I say as I reach Bilbo. He stands guard over Thorin, and so do I.

As I take out a Warg that's coming, Bilbo gets flung by the white Warg. I can't help him, because I'm in the middle of a battle with another Orc and Warg.

That's when I see the Eagles.

They take out the Warg I'm fighting, and that gives me time to go help Bilbo. An eagle comes swooping down and picks up Thorin, and Fili, Kili, and I watch. I refrain from crying out for him, because that could attract Azog.

An eagle comes and grabs me before dropping me onto the same eagle as Fili and Kili.

As we fly away, dawn fills the sky with light. We can finally see everyone clearly, and Fili spots Thorin first.

"Thorin!" he cries out.

We all watch him, terrified that he might be already dead. The Eagles drop us off on a stone ledge. Gandalf touches ground first, and he runs to the dwarf Prince.

"Thorin! Thorin!"

He places his hand on Thorin's face and starts muttering a spell of some sort. I clutch on to Fili's arm, and Kili stands on the other side of his brother. Thorin's eyes flutter open, and we all take a deep breath.

"The Halfling?" Thorin mumbles.

"It's all right. Bilbo is here. He's quite safe," Gandalf says. Kili and Dwalin go to help Thorin up, and the prince faces Bilbo.

"You!"

Bilbo's eyes widen, and all of us stare at Thorin.

"What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the Wild? That you had no place amongst us?"

Everyone is silent and staring at Thorin. What is he doing?! Thorin's face relaxes and he looks at Bilbo.

"I've never been so wrong in all my life."

He hugs Bilbo and all of us cheer. I take a huge breath and hug Fili and Kili.

"I'm sorry I doubted you," Thorin says.

"No, I would have doubted me too," Bilbo says. "I'm not a hero or a warrior. Not even a burglar."

Everyone chuckles, and the Eagles fly ahead, squawking. Thorin looks up, and his eyes widen.

"Is that what I think it is?" Bilbo asks.

"Erebor, the Lonely Mountain," Gandalf smiles. "The last of the great Dwarf kingdoms of Middle Earth."

"Our home," Thorin smiles.

A bird chirps and we all watch it fly.

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain!" Oin says.

"That, my dear Oin, is a thrush," Gandalf says.

"But we'll take it as a sign," Thorin says. "A good omen."

"You're right," Bilbo says. "I do believe the worst is behind us."

A/N: And end movie one! BTW, yes, I have read the book. 3 times, for anyone who was wondering.