Chapter 13

Radagast gets on his sled and rides away.  We can hear the pounding footsteps of the wargs chasing him, and they're going as fast as my heart. 

"Let's go," Thorin orders.  We all start running in the opposite direction, and we duck behind a giant rock as Radagast runs by with an orc pack on his trail. 

"Come on," Gandalf says.  We start running across the massive field in front of us, trying our best to avoid the wargs.  We do this deadly chase for a while until Thorin stops dead in his tracks. 

Radagast passes in front of us, and the enemies are right behind him.  Of course, there's no way Radagast would have known where we are, but this is not good for us now. 

"Stay together," Gandalf mutters. "Move!" 

Not going to lie, it's difficult to run fast when you have everything piled on top of you like a mule.  But we do our best, hoping that the wargs or orcs didn't see us.  I am faster than the others by a long shot, which is pretty useful. 

We duck behind another rock and Ori is about to run ahead, but Thorin spots the wargs running ahead of us and pulls him back by the collar. 

"Ori, no!  Get back!" he mutters. 

"All of you, come on, come on quick!" Gandalf whispers.

"Where are you leading us?" Thorin asks as I pass him.  Gandalf doesn't reply, and the two of them run after us. 

We duck behind another rock, and an orc, astride a warg, jumps on top.  We all freeze, barely daring to breathe.

Thorin looks over to Kili, who gets the message and strings an arrow into his bow.  He steps back and shoots the warg in the face.  It growls and spins around, causing both the orc and the warg to slip off the rock and fall to the ground beside us. 

Dwalin kills the orc and I finish off the warg, but the screeching most likely alerted the other members of the pack.  As soon as we hear howling, my suspicions are confirmed. 

"Move!  Run!" Gandalf yells.  We start running as fast as we can, and we just reach the crest of a hill when Gloin yells. 

"There they are!" 

"This way, quickly!" Gandalf yells.

We run as fast as we can through the valley, and my heart races a mile a minute.  I can see two wargs and an orc on the crest of a hill not to far away, and my stomach churns.

"There's more coming!" Kili yells. 

"Kili, shoot them!" Thorin yells back. 

Kili starts shooting at a rapid rate, and Fili and I run out to help him.

"We're surrounded!" Fili yells, holding his sword out in front of him. 

"Where's Gandalf?" Dori exclaims. 

"He's abandoned us," Dwalin growls. 

"Hold your ground!" Thorin yells, unsheathing his elvish sword. 

"This way, you fools!" Gandalf yells, suddenly appearing out of a hole in the ground.  

"Come on, move!" Thorin yells.  "Quickly, all of you!" 

"Come on!" Bofur yells as he jumps in. 

One by one, we all jump into the hole as Thorin yells at us to go faster.  Kili, Fili, and I keep fighting off wargs, making sure the others get in.  Kili is father out than Fili and I, shooting the oncoming attackers.

"Kili, run!" Thorin yells.  He turns and starts sprinting towards safety, wargs right on his trail.

Fili jumps in, then me, then Kili.  After that, Thorin slides into the cave.

A horn blows, filling the valley with sound.  The sound of arrows flying and finding their mark is heard, as well as hoofbeats.  We wait in silence, unknowing of what's going on. 

Suddenly, an orc falls into the cave, dead.  We back away from it, and Gandalf pokes it with his staff to make sure it isn't alive. 

Thorin pulls an arrow out of it's neck and scowls, tossing it onto the ground. 

"Elves." 

"I cannot see where the pathway leads," Dwalin says. "Do we follow it or no?" 

"Follow it, of course!" Bofur replies.

"I think that would be wise," Gandalf mumbles. 

Fili, Kili, and I exchange glances and shrug, following our kin down the tunnel.  Grunts and groans are heard as we try to fit with all of our stuff, and I'll be honest, some of the dwarves in this company aren't very thin.

Eventually, we emerge into a clearing.  There's a waterfall directly to my left, and I let out a quiet gasp. 

The entire company is silent as we stare at the grand city of Rivendell.