❝ i don't know ❞ - O. TOORU

❝ i don't know ❞ by seventeen

we’re on different streets
i’m asking you, who is
blankly standing on the other side
can’t we go back?
i don’t know, i don’t know

---------------

"I'd be careful, if I were you," Iwaizumi mumbled, loud enough for you to hear as he stood beside you, reaching for the drink on the top shelf you had been failing to get even when you jumped. You received the bottle with a soft thank you, placing it on the basket filled with a few more snacks along with the drink he got for himself. You tried ignoring how it felt like it became colder in the convenience store when he arrived.

"Oh," you giggled softly as if you had realized what he was talking about, "No need to worry, Iwaizumi-san! I'm always careful not to lose my balan─"

"I didn't mean that," he cut you off out of frustration,  You were dumbfounded. Before you could ask about what he meant when your train of thoughts were interrupted by an all too familiar obnoxious call of your name and Iwaizumi's. You whipped your head around, visibly sparkling at seeing Oikawa approaching the two of you, a couple of milk bread in his arms.

"Oikawa-san! You need proper food! You exerted too much energy during practice," you said out of concern, then visibly cringing at the sound of a loud smack from Oikawa's powerful serve that resounded at the back of your mind.

"Not like that's anything new," Iwaizumi remarked, making you giggle and mutter a soft agreement.

"I have to be the best after all!" Oikawa uncharacteristically said in a sheepish manner, as if he felt shy, failing to notice the sharp stare his friend threw him, "oh, let me help you, [YF/N]-chan!" before you could protest, he had already taken the basket from your hand, putting his milk bread inside.

"Th-thank you, Oikawa-san..!" you squeaked out, a dust of red brushing across your cheeks at his gesture, trying to ignore the loud thumping of your heart. Sickened by the obvious lovey-dovey aura between the two of you, Iwaizumi stared at Oikawa in disgust, then nonchalantly taking the drink he picked up from the basket, harshly nudging Oikawa's stomach with it,  then walking to the cashier.

But not before whispering something in your ear.

"Think carefully, [YL/N]," Iwaizumi said before he went off. You watched his figure disappear once he had paid for his drink, silently pondering what he meant. Once again, your thoughts disappeared at the setter's whines. You laughed lightly and consoled him.

Suddenly the two of you were engulfed by an awkward atmosphere lingering, one you tried to brush off as you placed a hand to your chest, gripping onto your uniform in an attempt to calm your heart now that you realized you were alone with him.

"Let's go, Oikawa-san. It's getting late, you should really get some rest," you said quietly than you intended, cheeks glowing into a pinkish hue.

"Yeah..." he replied with the same soft voice, the color of his cheeks oddly mirroring yours.

He paid for your items, a gift from him since it was your last day in managing them after a month. The two of you exited the convenience store in silence, Oikawa carrying both his and your plastic bag on one hand, the other awkwardly hanging loosely by his bag. Your hands gripped onto the straps of your backpack, biting onto your lower lip, nervous, for some reasons.

"Ah, hey, [YF/N]..." you almost jumped up in surprise at his shy tone and the lack of the familiar honorific he would fondly attach to your name. You turned your head around, realizing he had stopped walking so you did, too. He snaked his free hand to the back of his neck, avoiding looking at your face, "thank you for managing us even if it's temporary."