Prologue

Oxygen.

I panted heavily, sweat sliding down the side of my head. Darkness followed me, taunting me in every corner I turned.

The streets were poorly lit, the light from the street lamp not even strong enough to form a shadow as I ran passed it.

Whispers.

I could hear them and almost feel their very breath caressing my skin. Goosebumps ran across me, the chill that ran down my spine was an unpleasant feeling.

It was supposed to be summer and yet it felt so cold that I could see my breath in the air. My lungs were burning, asking for one thing.

Oxygen.

I shook my head, pushing my legs to run harder. Evil Cackles resonated behind me and it felt closer than before.

It seems that luck wasn't on my side tonight and I felt myself stumble, falling to the ground like the weak shit that I was.

Tears welled up in my eyes, my heart hammering in my chest. I know what's gonna happen next and fear started to choke me.

A small hand pulled my hair by the roots, a scream echoing through the darkened street. The full moon and stars being my only witness.

My head snapped to the side, the force of the slap made my face burn."I'm sorry, I'm sorry please stop. I didn't mean to." I begged, tears sliding down my skin.

I closed my eyes when I felt her pull my face to meet hers. I didn't want to see her, didn't want to see the sunken cheeks, her yellow teeth that was rotting from the alcohol addiction, and how her eyes looked evil and brimmed with hatred.

Small whimpers escaped my lips when I felt her slowly drag the switchblade on my arm, the cold feeling of the metal brought a sense of dread on me.

"Don't mom. Please don't." I choked out, my orbs opening to meet her red-rimmed eyes that regarded me with hate.

She smiled, my eyes widening at the red that seemed to stain her teeth and now slipped down to the corners of her mouth.

Blood.

"Say the words and I'll stop, give me the reigns and I'll let you free." She darkly said, the knife digging slightly into my skin.

I tried, for the past fifteen years been trying to guess what the words she wanted me to say but it only ended up with a new scar in the collection that I carried.

If only she knew that it was long ago that I gave her the reigns over me.

Each slap, hit, and hurtful words that she threw at me; my mind, heart, and body slowly surrendered to the power she had over me.

Every pain that was inflicted on me, a piece of me died and the mother that gave birth to me slowly turned into a monster who took pleasure in my pain.

I sobbed, the hands that were supposed to love and take care of me was the very culprit of the scars that would be forever present mark on my body.

Scars that would haunt me, taunt me, and question my self worth as a human.

I lost the reigns when the hateful words that escaped her mouth had already seeped into my very skin and brain.

Now, I regarded myself as nothing but a weak, useless, and disgusting human being that shouldn't have been born.

What words did she even want me to say? How could I know the words when she didn't give me the slightest idea of what it was from the start?

"I'm sorry." I sobbed, shaking my head."I don't know mom, I tried everything. What do you want me to say?"